It's such a beautiful morning our our homestead today. Saturday's rain and 45 degree weather morphed into Sunday's freezing temperatures, 4-6 inches of snow and 30-40 mph wind which lead to today's Snow Day! Yes! There isn't THAT much snow on the ground, but with all the open land in our rural school district, most of the N/S roads are drifted shut.
It's kind of weird, but I think I enjoy snow days more now than when I was a kid in school. I love it when Isaac is home and both kids are running around in their footy-jammies, watching old movies or playing in the snow. And it's a lovely snow today. Yesterday was so windy and the snowflakes were tiny-the kind that sting when they hit your face. Today the air is still and big, fat snowflakes are just drifting down gently. The kind of snowflakes that you can catch on your tongue or inspect under a magnifying glass.
We've spent a good deal of time at the sliding glass doors this morning, watching the snow fall and the birds playing around the feeder. Later we'll watch a Christmas movie, add an ornament to our Advent calender and maybe play outside. They'll probably have the front loaders on our road later this morning, building snow dams to slow any drifting snow and that's always great entertainment. And this afternoon when the Mr. gets home, we'll probably do the obligatory 'hot chocolate and warm cookies' thing.
It's shaping up to be a glorious day.
5 comments:
I was thinking about you this morning......First day back into routine with the hubby gone......I hope you have a great snowy day.
Hey Jenny-
Yes, Mr. is back to work today! What a rough day to get back into the old routine LOL. We're having a great snow day so far....how did you fare further west?
A
Your day DOES sound wonderful and cozy! Enjoy those precious moments with your kiddos! They're making wonderful memories!
You know...there are some days when you need to just turn your back on the world and stay in your cave. I remember "snow days"...and when I see on the news that "xxx people were strandded on the highway for hours due to snow/ice conditions", I can't help but wonder where people's brains are. Sometimes, you need to just get inside and stay there, but people seem determined to prove how tough they are - and then need some other tough guy to rescue them!
Obviously, your conditions aren't _that_ bad, or your husband would still be home - 1st day back at work or not!
Now's the time to bake cookies...fruitcake, _anything_ that makes the house warm and good smelling! I still remember that special silence that comes with a heavy snowfall, especially one where you _don't_ have wind...just silent snow that makes the whole world have a silence when you wake...
Till the snowplows come...!
This is what I mean. Isn't there a point at which people become responsible for their own stupidity??? Darwin's law etc.
http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2010/12/13/midwest-deep-freeze-storm-cancels-flights/?test=latestnews
You gotta wonder...!
Post a Comment