![]() |
| Credits: James R. Tourtellotte |
News coverage is nearly as constant now as we near the 10th anniversary as it was 10 years ago and to be honest, part of me still feels raw. The shock is gone, slowly dulled by time, but the tears are still there, just under the surface. Part of me is still angry. Part of me still struggles to separate Muslims and extremists and when I hear someone say that Islam is a peaceful religion, I still catch myself rolling my eyes. I'm not proud of it, but I won't lie to you either.
Of all the things that happened that week, my most vivid memory is of a little girl named Nikki. I was working at a daycare, 20 minutes away from Wright-Patterson AFB, teaching 4-year-olds. This was a small town built upon the outskirts of Wright-Patt and the kids were familiar with and accustomed to the large aircraft, occasional Humvees, uniforms. We had just finished circle time when one of the parents called to tell us what had happened. We continued our day as usual, but even the children noticed that there weren't any aircraft flying overhead.
The next day, the kids were noticeably stressed. Many of them had parents in the Air Force and though 4-year-olds couldn't grasp the magnitude of what happened, they knew it was bad and it was scary. It was all the talk at circle time. Mommy cried. Daddy stayed at work (WPAFB) all night. The bad guys were getting us.
And then there was Nikki.
She was 4 or 5, with long blond hair and had had a difficult childhood. And Nikki was terrified to go outside. She hid in the playground equipment all during recess and ran to the door as quickly as possible, covering her head, when time was up. To her, Enon Ohio was as big as New York City and it was just as likely for a plane to crash in Enon as it was in New York. There was no telling her she was safe; she was convinced it was only a matter of time before a hijacked plane would crash in Enon. I was so angry; not only had they murdered thousands, they had stolen the innocence of millions more.
During circle time that day, we said prayers. For New York. For ourselves. For our soldiers and firemen. Some of us cried. Okay, I cried. Then we made a card to send to Mayor Guilliani and all the kids signed it with a scrawled picture or the traced outline of a hand. I don't know what I was trying to accomplish with that card, but it was the only thing I could do. A few weeks later, we got a postcard from the Mayor, thanking the children for their prayers and their reaction was priceless. I think everyone wanted to feel helpful and feel like they could give something and for this class, their prayers, thoughts and well-wishes were their gift to New York.
I still have that postcard.
I'm older now and hopefully a bit wiser. I've birthed 2 children and been reborn myself, but I still ache inside. Part of me still wants to lash out. Part of me is bitter and distrusting of my own government. I still feel resentment. And part of me wants to hate; wants to hate so so badly. (Again, I'm not proud of this, but honesty is vital, right?) Maybe that part of me is the 26-year-old me; the one who spent days on end comforting 4-year-olds and trying to make sense of the tragedy myself.
But the 36-year-old me feels different. And as badly as part of me wants to be angry, I feel sympathy. We've all fallen. We've all been lost. Confused. Deceived. And if not for the hope we have in Jesus, we'd still be lost, confused, deceived. When I feel that anger rising, I remind myself that I can boast of Jesus and His redeeming work. I have a promise to depend on and no matter what happens, that never changes. The people who inflicted this terrible tragedy on us didn't have that hope.
With all love and humility, I tell you that I don't want to be angry at those without hope. Oh, I know that isn't politically correct, but I don't strive to be politically correct. I strive to be genuine with you and honest with myself. 10 years ago, I could have pushed the nuke button myself. But now, now things are different.
When we watch coverage of 9/11, 'Where were you?' inevitably comes up. And unless you were living under a rock, you probably remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news. And that's important. We can't forget the ones we lost. But I think it's more important to discuss where we are now. How far we've come. How we've changed. How we've grown. How we've forgiven.
10 years later. Where are you now?

5 comments:
Thought-provoking post.
Ten years later, I guess I'm... still scared. I was never really angry, not even back then. I was always scared.
I want you to know something: even though I am a Christian and I believe Jesus is my Savior, it's been a long time since I've done any kind of serious and formal devotion (going to church, regular prayers, etc.). Your solidarity of faith has inspired me to focus more on the spiritual aspect of my life and the life of my family.
Thank you.
Truly a amazing post, and thank you for being so true to your self both then and now.
I was in Iqaluit, nunuvut, and my hubby was in goverment meetings in Montreal Qubec, and when it happened, they came and took the Canadian Ministers that were at the meeting to saftely but the workers like my hubby were left in the meetings.
Needless to say, no way to get from montreal to ottawa and the airport was shut down, so no way to take the planned flight home. Thankfully it was only a matter of a couple days before that was figured out.
I on the other hand was getting word that Iqaluit (having a alternate space landing site of a airport, could in fact be a hosting place for many planes that needed to land) was working to figure out how many folks I could put up in my house, and help with different community ways, as it turned out they have them land much further down in the Canadian Eastern Coast.
I had a moment of "the world just shifted" and I had a very hard moment at the thought that if I had to survive here could I, and the answer was no, being in the high artic above the tree line, in a fly in and fly out zone only, with no growing season to speak off, all the skills and knowledge I had was not going to help.
Right there, and when I spoke to my hubby, I told him, we need to move as soon as possable, and get land, and become able to look after ourselves and our loved ones.
Ten years later, I still feel that the world has had a number of "shifts" since, and they all are able to make me have that sick pit of fear in the middle of my body happen, then I pray, and I work and I learn and I do what I can to in my own little slice of the world, and I give up control to a higher source and do my best to let that fear go and be joyful in the life I have.
Bitsy: You made me cry :) We have been given the Most Amazing Gift Ever and I'm so glad that you're "refocusing" on it. Run with it, Bitsy, and don't ever look back!
Farmgal: That is an amazing story! Sometimes I forget what an impact 9/11 had on people outside of the US. It wasn't just a strike against America; it was a strike against liberty everywhere. And what a transformation it made in your life!
More truth: I had to google Iqaluit, Nunuvut as I had never heard of it. Wow, were you ever waaaaay up North!
I was on my way to classes at OU when I heard the news on the radio. I was ready to enlist in the military, thinking a whole nation had declared war on us. Once it was determined to be Al Quida, I didn't end up joining.
It made me realize how fragile our society is and put me on my path to prepping.
Now, I'm likely 30lbs heavier, married with 2 kids, but I still think about that day often and it still affects my thoughts to this day.
Hi Seth-
My husband had given thought to re-enlisting just prior to 9/11. Is it selfish of me that I'm glad he didn't enlist? I don't know. In some ways, it would have been easier had it been a nation declaring war on us instead of this little faction of crazies.
Thanks for commenting...it's been a while since I heard from ya!
Post a Comment