Anyone else glad that summer is 'officially' over?
I'm ready for cooler weather, slower days and darker evenings.
This weekend was very busy for us, a last great hurrah before the end of the season, and believe it or not, it feels like we weathered 3 different seasons this weekend.
Both kids started out the weekend sick, but it's amazing what a difference 24 hours and a few doses of Amoxicillin made. Friday night was date night for the whole family. Jeff took me to a charity concert featuring FFH. Mamaw took Mara to the same concert, but they drove seperately so Mom and Dad could ride the motorcycle. Papaw and Isaac stayed home, playing Legos and watching WipeOut.
Our weekend started out beautiful:
After a couple hours of playing Hero Factory...
We went to a local fair set in 1811 Ohio.
The kids watched a cannon being loaded and fired,
Enjoyed some casual dining, 1811-style,
Rode horses,
And watched a bunch of volunteers running around in
several layers of wool clothing in 98 degree weather.
It was so stinking hot on Saturday, we set up the sprinkler underneath the trampoline and the kids (and I) played in the water. There's something quite invigorating about jumping on a trampoline, being sprayed with 55 degree water. One of us giggled til we nearly wet our pants, but for the sake of Mara's dignity, I'll not reveal whom. Oops.
Sunday after church was our annual family reunion with the neighboring cousins and we had a fantastic time. Unfortunately it rained all day so we couldn't swim, fish or play horseshoes, but that just drove everyone in to watch movies, play ping pong and visit on the back porch.
Today, we had planned on going to another local festival, but the cool weather kept us home. From Saturday's high of 98, today we had a high of 61. You know what they say about Ohio weather, right? If you don't like it, wait 5 minutes because it's bound to change. So today we stayed home, ate soup and warm cheesy biscuits and watched movies. Some of us never actually got dressed today, but I'll not reveal whom to protect Isaac's innocense. Ahem.
What a great way to end summer and begin fall.
How was your holiday weekend?







1 comment:
I am so glad fall is here! It's my favorite season of the year. I know a lot of people think it's a time of ending because everything dies, but for me autumn is a time for new beginnings. The leaves change, the air changes, and I can break out my boots!! ;)
I'm looking forward to a fresh start!
Post a Comment