Had you asked me a year ago where I'd be and what I'd be doing today, I'd never have guessed that breast cancer would even be on the radar.
But it's here.
You know what....breast cancer stinks.
I've never asked any of my online friends for anything other than prayers. I've never sought donations to support my blog. Never asked you to click on a link for my own personal gain. Never asked you for help when times were tough. But now...now I ask you for help:
Please help my family fight this disease.
My mom has put together a team (including myself, Miss Mara and my step-dad Jeff) who will be participating in a Making Strides walk to raise money for a cure for breast cancer. Donations to this cancer walk do so much:
-Your donations help to provide early detection, especially for women who don't have preventative coverage through their insurance provider.
-Your donations offer support to women who are fighting cancer. Remember the Look Good-Feel Better class Mom and I attended a few months ago? That program was supported through your donations.
-Your donations go to research to put an end to this stupid cancer. Your donations give me hope that one day, when Mara is an adult, breast cancer will be a non-issue. That one day my granddaughter won't have to stand behind Mara and shave her mother's head. The way I did. The way Mom did.
-Your donations go directly to breast cancer support and research. Making Strides sends 95% of the donations it receives directly to treatment research, genetic research for inherited cancers and so much more. Only 5% is used for operating costs and fundraising.
Here's a link to my mom's page. Won't you please consider making a donation to support her? You can make a donation with a credit card here. Or you can make a donation with a check or cash here. I know times are tough right now and the suggested $35 is out of reach for many people. I totally, totally get that and I don't expect $35 donations. Just a $5-10 donation, combined with the donations from thousands of other people across the country, can go a long, long way to providing hope to families like mine.
And ultimately, that's what you're donating.
Hope.
Please join me in this conspiracy of hope. Forward a link to your friends. Tell your neighbors. Join a walk. Do whatever you're lead to do to end breast cancer.
All my love,
Andrea

1 comment:
Hi andrea,
We are coming up on our big ladies cancer walk here in canada, its called walk for the cure.
Your post touched me, I was not able to open the pages as they kept timing out on my very slow dial-up but I will load them next week at a friends who have high-speed..
God Bless..
Post a Comment