Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Managing the Pantry -or- No Beets Til November!

Okay, I have a confession to make.

It's weird, let me just tell you that up front. 

After spending March and April starting seeds, and May and June planting the garden and July and August and September canning, I tend to get a bit stingy with my canned goods.  Maybe stingy isn't the word.  Maybe obsessive-compulsive is better.

September just feels too early to dig into the goods!  In my mind, we have to wait.  I don't know what I'm waiting for, but we have to wait til later to use the stored food.  Maybe because I'm putting it up for winter, in my mind, we should wait til cold weather to eat it?

Does anyone else do that?  Have a time frame for when it feels appropriate to start eating the home-canned goodies?

Share your weirdness with me so I don't feel so, well, weird myself. 

8 comments:

farmgal said...

Hi Andrea, so not alone on this, if there is still fresh to be used in the gardens, there is little to no using of many of the canning products, they are indeed saved for winter.

I don't mind jam or jelly use, but if I have the same kind from 2010 left, it has to be used first, same with pickles or sauces etc.

Last in, first out..

Andrea said...

Maybe that's what it is. Right now we can still get fresh food cheap/free, so don't touch those spicy pickled beets until there's nothing fresh we can eat from the garden!

By the way: if you like pickled beets, throw in a few slices of jalapeno peppers. OMG.

dr momi said...

I feel the same way Andrea. No starting in on the canned goods till at least late Oct. :-) Use up the old first. Of course maybe there wouldn't be "old" if we started eating "earlier" LOL

Andrea said...

It's silly, isn't it? It's not like we're going to starve to death if we eat all the pickled carrots before next year. It's not like we don't have access to food if we DO run out.

Bitsy said...

I don't can, so I don't share the same weirdness. But I imagine I would feel the exact same way you did if I had home canned items in the pantry.

I do have a plastic baggie of dehydrated strawberries on my counter. I did them as an experiment early this summer. Haven't eaten them yet. Not sure why... it just feels wrong to eat them.

Anonymous said...

Hey stranger! If you're weird, I'm weird. LOL I break down and start using our stuff in November. There is something so pretty about looking at those jars filled with yummy's. The garden was not as successful this year, too much rain or not enough, bugs, etc... I've been scrounging farmers markets, craigslist and such looking for deals for canning.

I experimented with tators in tires and think I will go back to my old way as they did not work. Would love to know how you planted your tators as I did not get many the first time I tried them. Do you do trenches as your picture looks like you don't mound them and they look like the green leaves are not buried. I always covered everything completely. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Anyways hope you are all doing well and sorry I don't comment as much as I should. Miss chattin with ya.

Andrea said...

Bitsy-I hear ya. Dried strawberries should be cherished and carefully rationed. There's nothing better!

Shelly-Good to hear from you! I think it's been a tough year for everyone on the garden front. Weird weather this year.

No, I didn't mound my potatoes. I just tilled up a spot along the fence and mixed in some sand, put the potato on top of the soil then covered it with a bunch of straw. That's it. Next year, I'll add more straw later in the season as there were potatoes around the stem of the plant that turned green...otherwise, I won't be changing a thing.

Jennifer@ Fast, Cheap, and Good said...

Me too. I have a lot of stuff put up in the pantry and "down cellar," but it feels wrong to crack open a can when I can still see tomatoes hanging on the vines outside. Maybe soon. I'm starting to get tempted by the applesauce from last weekend!