This old sewing machine is a project I've been excited about for a long time and I finally got to work on it last weekend. Unfortunately we weren't able to salvage the machine. Too many years of storage in a barn did the machine in. But the cabinet.......it had some definite potential.
Here's the before:
And now the after:
Still pretty beat-up, but rather charming in the basement stairwell. The front panel of the cabinet was beyond saving, so eventually we'll replace it. My hope is that I can use it for a sewing stand; a nice place to store thread, notions and whatever small project I happen to be working on. That's my hope anyway. For now, it's a nice stand for a lamp and maybe some pretty seasonal decorations.
And Jeff thought I was crazy when I traded a pint of apple butter for this old, beat-up piece of history :)


3 comments:
good job! glad you could save the cabinet!
I am addicted to old machines! I just got a leather belt for mine and am hoping to have it running soon...my hubs thinks I'm a bit nutty too!
TT-Believe it or not, my mom has my great-great grandmother's Singer machine...and it works! Apparently, my great grandmother used it right up to the point that her eyes gave out and she had to quit sewing.
Post a Comment