Monday, August 8, 2011

Prepping Like You Mean It

Well this has been one in-teresting week for America, hasn't it?  I'm quite curious to see what the coming days have to offer us after last week's mess.  Politicians on both sides of the aisle played games, spent money they didn't have, blamed others for accepting it and then tried to get someone else to pay for it.  And now we're all paying for it. 

Gee thanks.

But that's okay.  I figure there's going to be a middle-class revolution soon and the PTB will be called into account.  For now, life continues without paying much heed to Wall St or Pennsylvania Ave.

To be honest, I'm rather thankful for the mess that our beloved politicians have created; it's the impetus I needed to get going after having sat still for a while.  To get stocked up, make local connections and do what I can with what I have.  I can't do a thing about our national economy, but I can do something about my own domestic economy: 

I can stock food while it's cheap.
I can preserve produce from my garden.
I can learn new skills that save money.
I can trade with friends in order to starve the beast.
I can put all my faith in God, that He will work this for our good.

I'd advise you to keep an eye on CNN today, but really does it matter?  Just do what you can while you have the time. 

Dry some delicious tomatoes. 
Can some lovely sweet peaches. 
Stock up on some pantry essentials like flour, sugar and oil. 
Make sure your sprouts have an extra pair of blue jeans. 
Fill up your fuel oil tank.
 
Do what our grandparents would have done when prepping and prudence were one and the same thing. 

Much love,
A

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Andrea, I'm teaching a series on Godly men and Godly women. This past weekend I spoke about the attributes of Godly women. The Proverbs 31 woman always comes up in these discussions. I like Proverbs 31:21 "When it snows, she has no fear for her household: for all of them are clothed in scarlet." The Proverbs 31 woman is a woman prepared for good times and bad.
Kinda ties into your post.

Andrea said...

Proverbs 31:21 popped up last week somewhere in my travels and I've been thinking on it too.

I think too many people think that trusting in God means they get to sit back and do nothing. That if they build their larder, they're not depending on God. I think they're testing God when they take that approach, but that's just my opinion.

farmgal said...

Hi Andrea

Your post rings so true for me, we can watch and listen and when the time comes VOTE for changes but so many things our goverments are doing at this time is out of our hands.

Prepping like you mean it, o ya!

Bitsy said...

My mom used to always say "God helps those who help themselves." I believe this is true. I think He gives us the messages and signs to prepare for ourselves and our families, and to prepare to be charitable to people who may need it. But He also gave us free will, and it's up to us to heed those signs and act accordingly.

Anyway, I've been slacking on my preps lately, and yours was another good reminder to get my rear in gear. Thanks!