Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hoppin' Jalapenos!

There's a couple advantages to having family in the farm market business. 

You start to see trends, in weather, in harvests, in economics.
You have someone to share recipes, ideas and troubles with.
And once in a while, they bless you with their bumper crops.

Such was the circumstance this week: a bumper crop of jalapeno peppers, banana peppers and tomatoes.

My cousin, Farmer D, has a tomato and pepper patch covering an area the size of a football field and this year, the harvest is excellent.  When he asked about my garden and I told him the harvest had been sort of "meh", he invited me to take what I needed.

Yikes!

So this week, we're canning jalapenos.

Pickled.

Candied.

Jellied.

Salsa.

Perhaps freezing them stuffed?

Or dehydrating them for cornbread?

Sometimes I think my time could be better spent canning substantial veggies, but how can you turn down tons of hot peppers?  And from a prepper stand point, peppers are terrific.  Full of vitamins and fiber, and they give bland, plain foods such a kick in the seat!  And they're so good on a cracker with cream cheese or topping a big bowl of chili.

I'm giving myself a belly ache just posting this :) 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love jalapenos, great pepper flavor, not to much heat. They are the best to cook with and always in my garden.