A few months back while reading about purple coneflowers, I noticed that they used the terms 'coneflower' and 'echinacea' interchangably. I thought it was a typo at first, until I did some more research, then I realized what I had growing out by the shed...echinacea! Upon doing more reading, I discovered that it's extremely helpful in treating upper respiratory infections, which is our #1 reason for visiting the doctor every year. This year, we'll be treating it with herbs!
![]() |
| Coneflowers planted to hide an ugly feature in the yard. |
![]() |
| Coneflowers hanging on a rack, drying on the porch. |
Apparently, every part of the flower contains some amount of the beneficial echinacea constituents. The roots contain the highest amounts but taste bitter. The flowers, petals and leaves contain lesser amounts but are more palatable.
We're going to try both.
The leaves, petals and flowers can simply be dried, then crushed in hot water to make a tea taken several times a day. For the roots, you must wait til fall til the plant has died back, then carefully dig roots from plants that are at least 3 years old. Clean the roots, then dry them and store them in a dark, cool place. Simmer the crushed roots in hot water to extract the beneficial elements.
According to WebMD and a number of other sources, echinacea is generally safe for people who don't have daisy allergies. The same thing can be said for pineapple weed, but that's another post.


8 comments:
Your drying rack is GORGEOUS! I would love one. Where did you get it? Can it support clothes too??
A little warning, echinacea tastes yucky, so you might try fixing it in an glycerine tincture. You can also mix it with an orange peal and peppermint in when you make your infusion (tea)..that will help teh paletability a lot and the mint and orange have benefits!(respritory support, pain relief and vitamin C - just to name a couple) :-) It is a staple in our home. Also, it will be most effective if you take it ALOT at the BEGINNING of symptoms. Than it flushes through you very fast. If your family just can't get over the taste - you could always grind it to a powder and get some gel caps (at your healthfood store or online) and make capsules.
Great information, Andrea! Yeoldfurt has chronic respiratory problems. I might not be able to get him to sip hot tea, but wonder if you could make into ice tea? If not, there are always the capsules. I love flowers and he would love to feel better. Excellent post.
: )
Mommy-
Would you believe that rack was a garage sale find? $5! I think Lehman's Hardware sells them.
Thanks for the flavor tip...I figure I could mix it with juice or other tea to make it palatable.
Hoss-
I bet you could make ice tea...and maybe flavor it with berries or mint to cover the questionable flavor?
Hi, I see on your comment on another blog that you can pickled carrots. Would you mind posting the recipe? Thanks much. Nancy
Your coneflowers are pretty and how nice that they are beneficial too!! I love, love your drying rack!
$5! What a find! You gotta love when that happens! I'll check Lehmens, but I know it won't be anywhere near that price. :-)
Nancy, here's a link for you....I cooked the carrots in the brine per the suggestion and it worked out great. The carrots are tender-crisp and delicious!
http://www.simplycanning.com/pickled-carrots.html
Thank you for the thorough instructions, I would have never thought about waiting for three years to dig roots, but it makes sense, they're bigger...
Have a great week.
Lovely picture of the drying rack, I agree.
Post a Comment