Saturday, August 27, 2011
Information Station
It's only day 3 of school and already stuff is starting to pile up.
Picture day.
Doctor's appts.
Fundraisers.
Field trips.
Days off.
We needed a space to collect information and the garage door was the perfect location. It's the last thing we see as we leave the house and the first thing we see upon entering and depositing our car keys into the hanging baskets.
A chalkboard was the ideal solution. We bought some blackboard paint from Walmart, applied as directed and allowed to cure for 3 days. (If you're wondering, the paint covers really well but splatters terribly, so if you go this route, put dropcloths everywhere.)
Already our chalkboard is filling up. With appointments and To-Do lists. The kids love scrawling messages to daddy. And I love having one spot for our vital information. Eventually, I'd love to be hyper-organized and have appts. in one color of chalk, to-do lists in another, messages in a third...
.....but I'll leave hyper-organization for another day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great idea! My kids aren't in school yet, but we do something similar. In our mudroom (last room we're in before we leave the house), each family member has a personal "mailbox" (a hanging file holder purchased at an office supply store). Hubby's mail and my mail goes into our respective mailboxes. If I need paperwork or something to take to a kid's doctor appointment, it goes in the kid's box. Once their in school, I'll use their boxes for things like permission slips, etc. We also have a whiteboard on the mudroom door for things like reminder, important messages, etc. And I have a set of old school gym lockers in the mudroom, too. Right now it houses various goods, but once the kids are in school each family member will get their own locker for bookbags, jackets, etc.
Great idea, Andrea! No kids here on a regular basis, but I think I might get some of that blackboard paint and fix up some lap size blackboards for when the grands come to visit. I have the colored chalk already and I think they would have a great time with that. It would be a good quiet time activity for when it's too hot to be outside and a good 'pacifier' for the younger ones when the older ones want to watch a movie.
Great idea, thanks!
I like the idea too - but couldn't do without a calendar. My refrigerator door calendar is my "map" for stuff I need to remember. Not that my days are as busy as yours...but I'd be likely to list all that stuff and then forget what day I was supposed to do something on!
Post a Comment