Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Harvest Continues


This has been such a beautiful busy week!  The harvest continues here on our little farm, with armloads of carrots and dishpans of grapes.  Throw in another trunk-load of corn from a local farm and another half-bushel of cucumbers and it all adds up to delicious productivity.

Want to see my carrots? 
In my humble opinion, everyone should grow technicolored carrots.


And grapes, plenty enough for jelly and juice.


And here's my little juicer.  There was something frightening about turning her loose with a wooden mallet, but she did quite well.


I've tried to impress upon the kids lately how life, particularly our life, is a team sport and everyone needs to contribute.  How that load of corn was a huge daunting task for me alone, but when we worked together, the work was more pleasant and passed more quickly. 

No matter the age, everyone can contribute something.  Whether it's shucking the corn or emptying the bucket of shucks into the compost.  Brushing the corn to remove the silk or stacking the corn neatly into a cooler for processing. 

Everyone can contribute something to the household.  

Too bad Congress hasn't figured that part out. 

8 comments:

Stacy McKenna said...

"Too bad Congress hasn't figured that part out."

Amen!

Good grief.

How do you recommend removing silks other than tediously pulling htem off one at a time?

Andrea said...

Oh honey, get thee to Walmart and buy a vegetable brush. Just pop the corn into a sink full of cold water and brush the corn in one direction. It should remove 99% of the silk.

How's the kidlet? He's about school age now, isn't he?

Unknown said...

What varities of grapes are you growing? My concord vines are full but not near ripe.

Andrea said...

Todd-
I'll have to get back to you on that one. I think the tags may still be on the vines, but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm hopeful for concords, maybe next year? The plants look healthy, but they're very very small.

Jenn said...

Visiting from the barn hop!
I had to laugh a little - both about Congress and about getting kids to participate in the team effort. Sounds just like my house.
I remember making grape juice with my grandma when I was a kid. Happy memories.

Georgia said...

what a wonderful post! as a kid every summer i helped my mom freeze, juice and cook up all wonderful things we brought in from our garden. I just love how you are involving you kids. where did you get the seeds for technicolored carrots? love that idea!

Andrea said...

Hi Jenn-
Thanks for visiting...aren't memories of canning with grandma the greatest?

Georgia-
If I remember correctly, the carrot seeds were Burpee brand, but there are a number of companies who sell the rainbow blends.

Stacy McKenna said...

He starts kindergarten on 9/7!!! He's been in the city's special ed preschool program for the past year and a half due to a speech delay that has completely caught up at this point. This summer has been daily swimming lessons at the local city pool, and this month (now that summer school for his preschool program is over) we're hitting a museum a week. Today was DINOSAURS!!! I'm a tired mama.