Tuesday, June 14, 2011

In Praise of Putrescence

At some point, cute, cuddly, doe-eyed wildlife become vermin and a nuisance. 

At SOME point.

For me, it's when they eat all the strawberrry plants.  And the sweet potato plants.  The tops off the blackberries.  Entire hostas.

Unfortunately, the game warden sees things differently.  Deer, for example, would have to destroy acres of crops before they're considered nuisances.  It doesn't matter that they ate 90% of my sweet potatoes and most of my strawberry crop, they're still cute, cuddly wildlife until they reach that acre-mark.

Enter putrefied eggs.

Since we're not allowed to harvest deer out of season, the best option is to deter them.  Jeff bought a product at Lowe's a couple weeks ago and it works surprisingly well.  It's called Liquid Fence and looks like this:  

  It is the most vile smelling product EVER, with the first ingredient being rotten eggs.  Imagine the sulfur smell of rotten eggs + dirty feet + mold + armpit + locker room.  That's about what this stuff smells like.  To put it kindly.  Thankfully, once it dries, it's undetectable by the human nose.  Apparently deer can still smell it and avoid it if at all possible.  To use, simply apply the product to the garden area, around desirable plantings or along the fence line. 

  So far, I haven't had any more damage to my garden.  The one poor hosta that I DIDN'T spray was gnawed to the ground, but eh, it's a hosta.  It will grow back.

Now, what to do about chipmunks???  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I use to use Liquid Fence, but switched to Repels-All when I needed to combat more than just deer and rabbits. Repels-All does it all. (Funny, I kept thinking I smelled that stuff as I was typing this comment. Must be post traumatic stress from spraying it around the yard!).

Andrea said...

So far, the deer are more damaging than anything else. My mom however is about to go postal on the chipmunks eating her strawberries. She's tried deterents, now she's looking into more lethal options.

Unknown said...

Ah, liquid fence. I always imagined it was what the Gates of Hades smelled like. We used it for a few years with great success, until last year. I don't know if the rabbits just got used to it, or were really hungry. Anyway, this year we have moved to real fence.

1st1shot said...

I've heard rat traps work well for chipmunk?!?

Andrea said...

I think my mom is leaning towards poison at this point...