Sunday, June 12, 2011

Firing History


Jeff bought the coolest old gun this week; a Russian Nagant rifle from the WWI-WWII era.  I don't know much about old rifles, but this one is so interesting.  I love that it's wood instead of composite...somehow it looks 'classier' for lack of a better word.  Maybe 'traditional' is a better choice. 

But the really cool thing was all the goodies with ours.  An old leather and canvas ammunition pouch.  An old oil can.  Canvas straps.  A tiny cleaning kit.  It looked like the stuff that Brendan Fraser carried in The Mummy. 

And it smells old.  I like that 'old' smell.  Somehow it makes the history behind the gun more tangible.  You can just imagine (if that's possible) where that gun has been and the action it's seen.   

When my brother and my father in law found out, they both bought one too.  And naturally, they came over to our place to fire them.  And naturally, they stood around giggling like little girls, comparing the damage they did to an old stump.

What is it with boys and firearms?    

3 comments:

HossBoss said...

I like the wood stocks better too. I know all the arguments for why composite is better ...yah-dah, yah-dah ...it just doesn't LOOK (or FEEL) as good as wood. I even like wood grips on pistols but they seldom come that way.

Glad you got all the accouterments with the rifle. That makes it more valuable AND more fun.

: )

True Texan said...

I had the fun of shooting my dad's 1868 rifle! Talk about history! It belonged to some great great uncle...and what a kick!

Chief Instructor said...

Sons and guns.... gotta be a genetic thing!