Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oh Deer.

As I was replanting sweet potatoes that deer ate overnight on Sunday, looky what I found staring at me from the black raspberry patch.  It was tiny, covered in spots and apparently not bothered about people stirring around. 


In all my years in the country, never have I ever found a baby deer in the backyard.  I called the game warden and had an excellent conversation with him.  He said we could leave it or we could move it, but that it may have been born in the backyard because a baby deer would have a hard time clearing a 4 ft. farm fence.  The obvious question, at least from my perspective....if a baby deer can't jump INTO a yard over a 4ft fence, how is it going to jump OUT of the yard over a 4ft fence? 

He couldn't answer that. 



It was desperate to go into the field behind our house, it KNEW where it's mama had gone.  And probably, Mara yelling "Let's Get Some Deer Sticks!!!" unnerved it a bit.  It managed to squeeze through the farm fence and was last seen heading into the woods on the west side of the Knobs. 

We'll see you this fall, Bambi. 

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

what a sweet little face!