Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fairy Droppings and Other Excitement

This was such an exciting week for our family!  After 2 weeks of anticipation, Isaac lost his first tooth.  And boy, he was not happy about it.  He was determined NOT to lose that tooth because he didn't want to "look like a total freak".  Naturally, it came out at church Wednesday night, surrounded by a classroom full of kids.  Such is life.  When we picked him up from his classroom, he just buried his face in my stomach and wept.  And wept.  And cried.  And sniffed.  And just when he'd settle down and pull himself together, his tongue would find that empty spot and he'd start crying again. 

That night, he put his tooth in a little box and set it on his desk and when he woke up the next morning, the tooth was gone and there was glitter and confetti thrown all over the room.  He didn't care about the glitter, but he was sure thrilled with the $5 left in place of the tooth.  Mara's reaction, however, was absolutely priceless. She looked around and spotted the glitter and confetti and shrieked "FAIRY DROPPINGS!"  Only Mara would see confetti and think fairy poo.  Her brain works just a little differently than the rest of ours : )

So the other excitement for the week:  little man Isaac is going to be assessed for the Gifted program at school.  Can you believe that?????  Apparently, his reading and language skills are far and beyond his first grade classmates and they want to see just HOW far and beyond.  That just amazes me.  I knew he was smart;  I'm only beginning to grasp exactly HOW smart he is. 

Look out Ohio State University...only 11 more years til graduation.

Blessings from the Run.    

6 comments:

HossBoss said...

Poor Isaac ...I'm sure he looks adorable with his missing tooth! Mara's reaction is too cute. Kids and their outlook on things are so precious. For most of us, we are a bit too serious by the time we are parents ...kids help us see the world anew again.

Chief Instructor said...

Five bucks for a tooth nowadays?! Or did the tears get him a little bonus payment, huh?

Hmmmmm, he IS a smart kid ;-)

Andrea said...

That first one was a big deal so the $5...but we told him he shouldn't expect that for the following teeth...only a buck each hereafter.

Anonymous said...

Way back when, I was so very happy to get a dime for a tooth. Of course back then, candy could be bought for only a penny each piece. I loved the red licorice whips. And some mints were two for a penny. Eskimo Pie ice cream was a nickle.
Anna Mouse

Andrea said...

I think I recall getting $.50-1.00 when I was losing teeth in the early 80's......but like you said, you could actually BUY something with that amount then.

Aleisha said...

"Her brain works just a little differently than the rest of ours..." I love people like that:) It reminds me of my favorite moment from the movie Spanglish. Adam Sandler and Flor are talking about their children, and he says "between odd and the same...you got to root for odd, don't you?" It's one of my favorite quotes ever! Odd people make my heart sing:)