Monday, April 18, 2011

Peas, Onions and Winter-greens

Hi All.  Remember me?  It's been a little while, eh?  Thanks to you who dropped me a line....I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just been quite the busy little woman.  Trying to devote more of my time to actually doing what I love instead of just writing about it :)

How about that crazy Midwest weather?  We're forecast for rain everyday this week.  And I think we had rain everyday last week, except maybe Thursday.  I can't recall at this point.  What I do know is that the weather held off long enough this morning to get 2 bundles of onions and 3-30 feet rows of peas planted.  I can't wait to snack on raw snap peas!  The garden is looking pretty good this spring, which is saying something after this winter.  The rhubarb is ripening, the chives and sage are green and edible and the biggest surprise of all: fresh kale!  A few kale plants I neglected to pull last summer really wintered well and there's enough for dinner tonight.  Beans, greens and cornbread at the Run tonight! 

For the fun-science segment of this post, the Mr. and I have a recycling experiment going.  Not talking about tin cans in the green bin.....but using a defunct trampoline frame to build a hoop house.  Or two.  This project is only in it's very early infancy, but I'm encouraged that Mr. is thinking along these lines.  Else he's cheap and just doesn't want to fork out the dough for a proper greenhouse!  (Love you!)  Either way, based on the results of the neglected kale, I'm thinking we could grow a few greens during the wintertime with the help of a hoop house or row covers or something.  And there's plenty of aluminum from the trampoline to do it.  Pictures later........

Anyway, gotta get moving.  I've got a flower bed to revamp before the cranberry bushes arrive on Wednesday!  And the boy is begging for another batch of homemade bagels. 

Catch up with you later.

9 comments:

farmgal said...

It was nice to see a post and get a update on how things goes.. have fun in the garden. Look forward to seeing photos of that project!

Chief Instructor said...

I'm very interested in the hoop house. Do you have to move it from being over the plants during the day so they can get sun, or is it left in place, and enough sun gets through the plastic sheeting?

Andrea said...

The plan is to install the U-shaped legs directly in one of the raised beds for 'hoops'...then we're going to recycle the jumping surface of the trampoline for a shade cloth. That should keep tender plants cooler during the heat of summer. Then this winter, we're going remove the shadecloth and use corregated plastic sheets to cover the framework. It should allow 100% light through and keep the plants several degrees warmer.

That's plan one.

For plan two: We have 6 or 8 uprights that are about 7 feet long and the circular base that's 14 feet across. Maybe cut the circular part in half and attach it to the uprights to make a permanent domed 'greenhouse'???

Lace said...

Two comments-
1: Homemade bagels? I think I love you. (If you post the recipe that is. And totally in a blogger/blogee type of way. Nothing crazy.)
2: We have rain forcasted a bunch this week and next and I'm LOVING it. It's not technically time to water anything yet but if the sky does it for me....my herb garden is already looking greener and more productive.

Andrea said...

LOL...here you go, Lace.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/honey-whole-wheat-bagels

Per my son: brush them with butter and sprinkle with salt and they taste like soft pretzels :)

Andrea said...

farmgal...I can't find your blog. Why can't I find your blog?

True Texan said...

I can't wait to see pictures of the trampoline project! I see them for free on craigslist occasionally and would love to show your pics to my hubs!

Joe said...

I love the hoop idea! It's a lot of fun when you can build things with items you already have and not have to shell out so much cash for it. Waiting for pics!!.. :)

farmgal said...

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Its working for me, I hope this will work for you.