Sigh.
I'm not going to disclose how I've learned this information, but please believe me when I say that I've become a master at removing Ralph from car interiors.
Here's what you do.
As soon as possible after the Ralph situation, remove booster seats, toys, etc from the car and if possible remove the upholstery upon which you'll be working. This could be floor mats or head rests, but for ease of discussion, let's just say the back seat. If you have rubber gloves, it's a real plus. And for the love of Pete, do it outside if at all possible.
Once you've removed the back seat, your first action will be to soak up the liquids. You can do this with old towels, clean saw dust, kitty litter or even baking soda. If you have a commercial liquid absorber, then Praise God! Anything that will absorb fluids will make things easier later on. If you choose towels, blot, blot and blot some more. If you choose saw dust, kitty litter or baking soda, sprinkle liberally and allow it time to work. Kitty litter will work quickly, baking soda or saw dust may take several hours.
When the majority of the liquid is absorbed into the absorbant of your choice, use a wet/dry vac to vacuum the saw dust, kitty litter or other solids. MOST of the mess should be gone by now. Using a gentle all-purpose or upholstery cleaner, scrub the affected areas then rub with a clean, damp cloth. It may take several instances of scrubbing and rubbing with a damp cloth to effectively remove clinging Ralph, baking soda or saw dust.
The final step is use a deodorizer to remove any lingering odors. Baking soda can work, but the professional at Autozone advised using dry coffee grounds. He said it's a little trick of the automotive industry to absorb odors and mask lingering unpleasantries. The simplest means is by placing an open box of baking soda or a cup of dry coffee grounds near the affected area. Adding vanilla or cinnamon to the soda or coffee grounds will further enhance the pleasant smell.
Cheers.
2 comments:
I've got my own personal experience on this also. :( I actually couldn't even blame it on my children. I got sick in the driver's seat the day before my second son was born. The hormonal surge hit me at the exact point on my drive home when I could not safely pull over. Needless to say after being told by my local detail shop that it would cost $200 for them to clean it (as it's considered hazardous material), I found a much cheaper alternative to cleaning it. lol!
oh honey! We have all been there, or else we will be! I like the coffee tip...thanks!
Post a Comment