Thursday, March 31, 2011

Snack Food Quandry

After reading this article on the possible link between food additives and behavioral/developmental problems, I'm redoubling my efforts to get the garbage out of my house.

And it feels like such a daunting task.

I have to say that as a family we eat pretty healthfully.  Our diets are based on lean meats, lots of fresh and homecanned veggies, homegrown/local fruits and whole grain breads.  We try to eat as much wild game as possible, but that's difficult when the wild game is determined to survive.  (Last year they were quite determined to survive.) 

Lately though, junkety stuff has been working its way back into our daily diets.  Graham crackers oozing with HFCS.  Breakfast cereals chock full of artificial coloring.  And don't tell me what's in the Ranch dressing...I shudder to think about it.  The most frustrating thing is there are so many foods out there that tout themselves as health choices, but really, they're as junky as all the other processed foods, only in a more mom-friendly package.  I won't name names, but they rhyme with Punchips and Fruitrigrain Bars. 

I simply have to regroup and get that stuff out of the house and find healthier, preferably homemade substitutes to our favorite snacks, but I don't really know where to start.  Believe it or not, my kids aren't sugar-fiends, so I don't need to replace cookies and sweets.  An occasional batch of Mommy-Os is all it takes to keep them happy in the sweets department.   It's the crunchy/crispy/savory stuff that they'll miss.  Crackers, chips and the like.  So while I'm determined, I don't know how to make the switch.

Anyone care to share their favorite homemade junk food recipes?

7 comments:

Mermaid said...

I haven't done it yet, but there are several recipes out there for homemade crackers -similar to cheese-its (which I don't eat) or wheat thins (which I do eat). Try Heavenly Homemakers or Life as Mom. Some look really good and so easy.

Ok, I found it: http://goodcheapeats.com/2010/09/cheddar-coins-aka-healthy-cheez-its/

If you try something, please post it because I'm not far from the same situation.

Aleisha said...

kitchenstewardship.com!! She has a snack e-book and I believe it also comes in physical form now, as well. She's the BEST!! I am a long time, faithful user of her granola bar and protein bar recipes, and there are several more that I am dying to try! She's got lots' of recipes right on her site, too. I'll never buy another commercially produced snack...we LOVE them:)

Andrea said...

Oooh thanks for the links! I'm going to check them out post-haste!

Stacy McKenna said...

You might look into getting a dehydrator for making home-made potato chips and the like (another popular favorite is banana chips, but tough to find those locally grown in your neck of the woods...). Thin flat bread baked to a crisp can do the crunchy for you.

And never forget popcorn!!!

kariwhite said...

My oldest daughter is VERY sensitive to artificial colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives. We can tell almost immediately when she consumes them. :(

Here are some of my fav recipes for snack foods:

a wheat thin like cracker
http://homecookinginmontana.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemade-wheat-thin-crackersking-arthur.html

cheddar crackers
http://homecookinginmontana.blogspot.com/2010/02/cheddar-crackersreminiscent-of-goldfish.html

graham crackers
http://eatingfoodstoragerecipes.blogspot.com/2010/01/graham-crackers-take-two.html

granola bars
http://eatingfoodstoragerecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/granola-bars.html

soft pretzels
http://eatingfoodstoragerecipes.blogspot.com/2010/03/thumbs-up-soft-pretzels.html

Andrea said...

Those are perfect! Thanks so much for the links!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Thanks for the links. We have worked really hard to get the junk out also!! It is amazing what you find when you become a label reader.Really like your blog. So glad that I found it!