I think we're about 3 weeks into the Lose The Fluff challenge, but at this point, it's kind of a big blur. Is it me or has this been a long, cold, disorienting winter? We had nearly 6 inches of snow last night, on top of ice the night before and rain 2 days prior. The ground is a big, frozen mess, schools are canceled and it's bitter cold outside! We're expecting a high of about 11 today, with wind chills in the negative teens. Someone please tell me how many more weeks til spring?
Back to the subject at hand....this week was an okay week. The cold weather makes me want heavier, heartier meals which can be difficult when you're on on a diet. Last night we enjoyed reduced fat smoked sausage with home fries and that really satisfied and chased away the chills. Some other delicious meals this week were spaghetti with meat sauce and chicken stir fry. We really loaded up on veggies this week and Mara could not get her fill of spinach and 'broccowi'. One night at dinner as she chomped a big floret she said "do you know there are kids that DON'T like broccowi?" That amazes her. Of course some people think my kids are strange eaters LOL.
The frustrating part about this diet (and probably most diets) is that most low fat/low cal/low point recipes call for a ton of artificial/modified ingredients and I really don't want to go that route. I was craving me some carrot muffins this week and most of the recipes I found online called for astounding amounts of Splenda or pre-packaged mixes or some other not-whole food. I don't mind a little bit of Splenda, in my morning coffee or something, but the quantities these recipes call for are just incredible.
Anyway, my weight loss for this week is 1.6 pounds for a total of 8.2! Not too bad for 3 week's work. I'm well on my way to my weight loss goal and I'm starting to see a difference in the way my jeans feel.
If you're taking the challenge, are you beginning to see a difference in the way your clothes fit?
2 comments:
Ok...I haven't done WW, and don't know about points etc. But....I guess I'd use plain old sugar. I'd reduce the quantity, but I'd use the real thing. I'd also cut back on any oil/fat in the recipe...
The problem with doing that is that baking is actually chemistry in the kitchen, so you might have some problems, but there are so many recipes out there - there _has_ to be something to compare to.
Sugar is pure carbohydrate. Carbs are 4cals per gram. A teaspoon is 18 grams. 3 tsp to a Tbsp, 4 Tbsps per 1/4 cup. (I think). So...12 tsp per 1/4 cup, 216 cals per 1/4 cup in the recipe, divided by however many muffins - usually 12... well..whadayaknow...we're back at 18 ! almost like one of those kid's riddles!
Fat, on the other hand, is 9 cals per gram. So double everything. Plus a bit.
I'd cut back on fat majorly. But initially, you'd be on a trial basis...to see if they'd perform as expected. I'd bet taste wouldn't be so much of an issue - it would be the lightness and texture that might be a problem.
Heh. word verify is statin...
Statin indeed!
Oops. Redid math. 18x4=72 per tsp. x 12= 864 divided by 12...
Ok...so if you're making 12 muffins...just do the 18x4 because x 12 divided by 12 = 1...just skip that whole thing!
So...that would make it 72 cals per muffin per quarter cup of sugar in the recipe.
Post a Comment