A couple times a week, I get emails from readers and I absolutely love it. It's like getting a late Christmas present or an unexpected package in the mail. Fun fun. On Sunday, I got an email from a lovely lady in a neighboring county asking for information on preparedness; how to get started, specifically, and for a while I wasn't sure what to say.
Preparedness is such a fluid topic, subject to change at a moments notice depending on where you live and how you live and what you hope to accomplish in life. Unlike FEMA's one-size-fits-all-3-day-food-supply public service announcement, true preparedness is case-specific and no two person's approaches will be the same. We're both limited and supported by our climate, our community, our livelihood, our budgets and what suits me probably wouldn't be a good fit for the California Survivalist.
After a few minutes of consideration, I answered this particular email with the suggestion that learning practical skills like gardening and food preservation is a good place to start. I also suggested stocking up on shelf-stable commodities like wheat, rice, sugar and finding local resources for basic items like eggs, milk and meat. But those are MY priorities. My main concern at the moment is the future of our food supply with regard to QE, inflation, poor harvests and supply problems. Not everyone has those same priorities.
So if you received an email from a neighbor asking where to start on the journey to preparedness, what would you say?
9 comments:
I would definitely say the same thing about growing or even raising your own food, and stocking up on food supplies. Building and growing everything the first time is the hardest part and after that, at least you have everything there for when something does happen.
Hi Mandy-
Welcome to my blog! I agree-getting everything in place is the hardest part. It can take so long to learn the art of raising a garden, years for your trees and vines to mature, but once they start producing, what a wonderful blessing!
Andrea, I would definitely say that gaining survival skills such as hunting, trapping, cooking over an open fire, constructing a shelter, and learning about edible plants in the wild are an absolute must. Food storage and stocking up on essentials are important, but knowing the skills needed to survive in harsh circumstances is priceless!
Great post!
I'd say...How much space do you have available? Any shelves? cupboards, closets?
If you have no place to organize your stuff, it could be a problem. I think I'd also ask about any likely natural disasters might be a threat. If you live in a relatively frequent flood zone, for example, basement storage might just be asking for major loss. If you live in hurricane areas, what would you do in the case of the worst hurricane?
I live in earthquake country - although we don't get hit hard. Obviously cans are better than jars for the most part. Or at least some kind of strong retention method.
How many people are you stocking up for? a couple? family?
What do you eat normally? This is the one I have problems with ... the foods we eat normally are not foods that store for long times. Well... a year maybe...but not much longer without getting "off".
Newsflash!!!! I picked up a FoodSaver today from Craigslist....for $40....FORTY!!!! bucks!! Virtually brand new. The Costco model - $140 plus tax plus extra plastic!
Now the hard part - learning to use it!
Hi Andrea,
Great post! In addition to learning survival skills, gardening and stocking up on food, I would tell my neighbor that they should definitely find a way to supply themselves with water such as installing a well (if they don't have one) with the ability to draw the water out when grid power is off. If they don't have a well and can't afford to install one then they should store up as much water as they can. They should also have a good water purification system.
Dave
Thanks for the great suggestions!
We discussed a couple of those topics, such a storage space and family size and even foraging. I didn't mention hunting and access to water, so your suggestions are much appreciated!
Suek-great job on the Foodsaver! Have fun learning to use it!
Being prepared for use is a bit different also. Our main thisng is to make sure we have enough food and water in stock for everyday use as well as emergencies. We also stay focused on thisngs like medications. We make sure we ahve at least one month supply of all the medications one needs on hand just in case. Our Daughter takes meds for her asthma and allergies that she could not go without if there was a disaster.
We also make sure we have enough alternative heat sorce. All that food is great but if you have no way of cooking it, you will need to find a way. I would rather have it ready before hand to elimante some stress over it after such disaster.
You're absolutely right on both accounts Jan. Back up heat and a month's worth of prescription meds should be at the top of the list as well.
I knew all of you would have such good advice to offer 'D'.
Everyone has given such excellent suggestions. Mine would be to start out small. Prep for 2 weeks, then 4, etc. When I started I tried to prep big because I was a bit panicky and I ended up buying stuff I didn't need.
Post a Comment