Monday, August 16, 2010

Watcha Eatin'?


We've had sort of an odd growing season this year. May and June were delightful, albeit a tad warm. July was crazy-hot with practically no rain. August started out cool then ramped up to crazy-hot with rain every other day.

The strange weather has made for some strange seasons in the garden.

Our typically, no-fail crop of green beans failed. 3-25 foot rows of bush beans yielded less than 10 quarts of beans. To put that in perspective for my non-gardening readers, I canned 50 quarts of beans off a smaller patch last year.

Our tomatoes are *just* beginning to ripen.

Our cucumbers succumbed to the heat a month ago.

This is really odd for Ohio. Normally we have a 'honeymoon' period during the summer growing season where everything is ripe at the same time and we enjoy entire meals out of the garden: wilted lettuce, cucumbers in vinaigrette, sliced tomatoes, green beans and sometimes a few early ears of corn. Not this year. This year our produce is coming on in dribs and drabs.

Thank Goodness I canned excess last year.

Thank Goodness we have local sources for a lot of our food.

Thank Goodness we have friends and family members to swap/trade/barter with.

So right now, we have a little bit of lettuce, onions, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and herbs coming out of the garden. We have a few ears of corn left that didn't go straight into the freezer and dozens of winter squash that will be ready very soon. The fall crops of beets, carrots, greens, broccoli and green beans look promising, but promising doesn't fill your tummy does it?

What are you eating this season?

Any garden weirdness you'd care to share?

4 comments:

chinasyndrome said...

My tomatoes sota doing ok.Some burned up no matter how much water.Beans and cukes burnt up.Green onions doing great.Radishes and lettuce did good.

China
III

Anonymous said...

We have had an odd growing season also. The rain keeps missing us. Our garden has been good to us thus far, but beans, forget it. I ordered from local farmer to ensure we would have some. Our beans have not died, they are just not producing. So hoping with fall weather coming, we may have some sort of harvest yet. I talked to a local farmer, he said tomatoes will be late this year, and the prices will be cheap to get them sold. Do you know if it is too late to put in fall garden for Ohio now?

Andrea said...

China-
The weird thing about the beans...ours didn't burn up. They just didn't produce. The plants are 2-3 feet tall with runners everywhere, but no beans!

Shelly-
I don't think it's too late to put out a fall garden. I only put mine out, maybe, 2 weeks ago. The root crops out to do well...in fact, last year I had a better carrot crop in fall than in spring.

Jan said...

I had no beans from our homestead this year, had to buy peaches to can for the winter, the corn dryed up quick and we managed to can zero jars of pickles this year. Our garden was flooded this year 3 times. We tried to survived but looks like I am going to the grocery store this winter. Big bummer after living off the land for so many years. I have been depressed about the whole thing and just tring to wrap my head around that the Lord knows whwat he is doing and tring to figure out how to grocery shop again.... any help?