I had the happiest, most joyful weekend this weekend, one that I had been anticipating for many years and I simply must share it with you!
This weekend, my best friend Suzanne moved home.
I haven't discussed Suzanne much on my blog, mainly out of respect for her privacy. She probably doesn't want all of Bloggerland to know who she is and what she does. Today however, I make an exception.
Suzanne and I have been friends since my junior year in high school. I can't remember how exactly we hooked up because we were on such opposite ends of the spectrum, but however it happened, by my senior year we were almost always together. After graduation, I married, and she went to college out of town. We lost touch a time or two, but it was never for very long.
About 7 years ago, right about the time the kids were coming along, Suzanne moved to Washington DC, and though it broke my heart, she had such opportunity there! We continued to keep in touch and whenever she was home visiting family, we'd spend time together and she'd visit with Isaac and Mara. Although my kids were receptive to 'Aunt' Suz, they didn't know who she was because they only saw her a time or two a year.
All that is about to change.
God answered so many prayers this summer when Suzanne was offered a position at OSU and she moved home from DC. Suzanne is now just a 30 minute drive away. She lives in a cute little apartment with a lake in the back and ducks that come up to the balcony begging for bread crusts. We spent Saturday afternoon together, getting her moved in and to some extent, settled in. And it was a little strange for me because somewhere along the way, my best friend became all grown up. I hadn't seen Suzanne in 'her own' environment since she moved out of home at 18 or 19. I'd never been in one of her apartments. Never experienced her sense of style. Never watched her function in her own space. Never watched her interact with other people as an adult. In many ways, she was stuck in my time warp. I still see her as the 19 year old college girl telling me how she ruined a pan of Rice Krispie treats.
After so many years living away from each other, we're very different people, but at the same time, we've never changed. We still love goofy movies. We're still chocolate fiends. We've mourned separations and deaths together. We've rejoiced together over births and rebirths. Suzanne was my 'sheepdog', relentlessly, lovingly driving me toward Jesus when I was lost, and now we're sisters in Christ.
Over the course of a lifetime, there are so many people that pass through our lives. Some pass through without leaving a ripple. Some leave turmoil in their wake. Some are only passing by, while others stay for the long haul. Some have no affect on our lives. Others change everything.
Suzanne changed everything and I count myself blessed to have known her.
No comments:
Post a Comment