Friday, August 13, 2010

Summertime and Feeling Puny

We're having a bear of a time with the kids right now. That walking pneumonia has settled in and is apparently quite happy here...after a complete course of antibiotics, Mara had a relapse (is that the word? Or maybe backslide?) and had to start a second course of a different/similar drug. About the same time, Isaac started showing similar symptoms and with only one dose of antibiotics remaining, he's still running high fevers, lethargic, nauseated. Now we're just waiting to hear back from the doctor about a second course for him as well. Sigh. BIG sigh. I hate giving my kids drugs, but at this point, there doesn't seem to be another course of action.

The frustrating part is that I try really hard to raise my kids well. They get plenty of sleep...eat lots of fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, yogurts and cheeses...spend time outdoors in the sunshine...they eat just the right amount of dirt, as my mother-in-law would say...there's no mold, smoke or stinky candles in our house. Why can't I get my children healthy? I know starting Sunday School and Kindergarten had a lot to do with it...they're being exposed to a whole new array of germs...but at some point, doesn't their little immune systems kick in and take control?

This week I've pushed the yogurt, trying to get some good bacteria in their systems. We've also encouraged them to drink lots of fluids and eat plenty of fresh berries still warm from the vines, but I don't know what else to do to kick start their immunity.

Any tried and true home remedies out there for boosting immune systems and quick recoveries from nasty, nasty bugs?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea, What a difficult week you have had. Praying that everyone gets well soon. I don't know of home remedies that will taste good for kids. For my daughters ear infection, I gave her 2 drops of oil of oregano to 1/2 cup of water 2x daily for 4 days and did 2 ear candles on her and by day 2 she was fine. It sounds like your doing well in what your doing, and their health with be restored soon.

Pete Smith said...

I was talking to a friend about a week ago and she works down in the ER, she said that over the just two month a lot of kids age 2-10 have been coming in with pneumonia or pneumonia like symptoms. Plus she said most were coming back because they are not getting better and end up on a stronger antibiotic. Must be a big bad strain of it going around.

Vickie said...

I'm sorry you're having a tough time getting your kiddoes well. I agree with Pete. I think there's something just going around. I have a friend that's going through the same thing. She can't seem to get well. I don't know if it's the humidity, whatever's in the air, or what. Give it some more time - sounds like you're doing all the right things. Perhaps some more antibiotics are just the ticket!

Anonymous said...

Sickness seems twice as bad in the summer for some odd reason... Hope all are well soon!
I make an herbal tincture with echinacia, peppermint and nettle for immune boosting. The how-to for making a glycerite is on the Bulk Herb Store website. They also sell the premixed herbs and the glycerin. Click on the Natural Healing link on my blog and you will find links to the Bulk Herb Store. I like to keep in on hand all year round but esp. in the winter. If you can catch it in the very beginning and give a dose every hour or two, it will cut the length of a flu way down.

Also give plenty of acidophilus to built back up the system after drugs.

Kathy said...

Cod liver oil is a great immune booster. We buy Carlson's Norwegian and take 2 tsp daily in water. My nine year old takes one tsp daily. Also raw virgin coconut oil is great as it is a natural antiviral, and really keeps colds at bay. You can add it to smoothies along with some raw honey.
Vitamin C is a plus as is a good multivitamin and plenly of vitamin D. Have kids eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. Stay away from dairy products like milk( pasteurized) cheese and ice cream create alot of mucus. Make sure once off the antibiotic they get on a good acidophilus routine. Hope that helps!