![]() |
| Picture credit: http://www.michigan-cedar-chest.com/kits.html |
I started a hope chest when I was about 15 and when I moved out at 20 I had everything I needed aside from a couch and a sweeper. I had dishes, linens, lamps, tables, pictures. Beautiful little treasures that I'd picked up here and there with whatever money I could scrounge up as a teen.
Women don't really do that anymore, do they? Start hope chests, I mean. I see posts on Freecycle that say "Getting my first place, need everything. Furniture, dishes, pots, pans, linens, appliances, etc." When I read that, I think "Wow. Didn't you know that you'd be moving out one day? Is it really up to the general public to supply all your basic need because you didn't plan ahead?" I know. Don't judge. There may be circumstances that I'm completely unaware of. But I digress.
So anywho, I'm curious if there's anyone else out there in bloggerland that kept a hope chest growing up? What were your favorite treasures? If you were starting out all over again, what would you want in your hope chest?

7 comments:
Im 39, most of my friends had hope chests growing up. Mine had quilts made for me by my great aunt, embroidered tablecloths, china, towels, some cookwear, but not nearly as complete as yours was. I think starting a hope chest for your daughter is a great idea.
Mrs Mills
What do you want papaw to give her??
My mother had three girls, all very close in age. She collected high quality flatware in three different patterns somewhere along the way as we were growing up. It wasn't sterling, but it wasn't the cheap, bendable stuff you see at Wally World these days. My sisters and I didn't know she had done this. I was the middle sister, but the first to get married and she brought out the three patterns for me to choose one. She gave me place settings for eight plus all the serving pieces. Then she let me choose two quilts from ones my grandmothers had made. It wasn't a hope chest in the sense of a box, but it was a wonderful surprise and a wonderful gift. I continued the tradition with my daughter and will help my daughter continue it for my granddaughter.
Thanks for the comments...such lovely ideas! I love the idea of embroidered linens, quilts and flatware.
Hi Mom---
You and papaw have given the kids so much already! Anything Mamaw and Papaw pick out for the Hope chest would be a favorite!
Yes, I definitely had a hope chest--the area I live in is a more conservative one and most all of my girlfriend's had hope chests...or sometimes we'd refer to them as despair barrels! :) Gosh, I had dishes in them,little embroidered linens things, all sorts of gifts from Grandma's etc. I think it's a great idea to start one for your daughter. Especially when she is a teenager and she can add her own items that are of her own style!
Hi Andrea!
I think that the hope chest is a great idea! I had one, but I didn't get it until I was about 16. Once Robbie and I moved out, we had everything that we needed other than our big furniture pieces, and our bathroom & kitchen decor stuff picked out.
My sister had one and loved it so I would say it's a great idea when ever you start it.
Post a Comment