Saturday, July 10, 2010

Enjoying the 2nd Amendment

***Disclaimer***
Don't shoot yourself in the foot and then blame me for it. Use some sense, folks!

Last week, a neighbor's house (just down the road) was robbed. In the middle of the afternoon, while his wife was out on an errand with his kids. The thieves knew the area, knew what his wife drove and the time frame that she'd be out of the house. And bearing in mind that we're 10 minutes from nowhere and the bad guys were likely locals, it's unnerving.

I've been sort of edgy ever since.

Watching for suspicious cars driving by.

Watching people in the cemetery (who aren't there for the obvious reason.)

Locking all doors, windows, gates, cars, setting alarms.

It sounds lame, but those are new things for me, as is worrying about being home alone with the kids all day long.

The good thing that has come out of this robbery is that it's encouraged me to figure out a game plan; what I'd do if someone broke in on us. And it's also encouraged me to practice my God-given, Constitutionally-protected right to bear arms. And oy, is my shoulder tender.

My mom picked up the kids for the afternoon, so the Mister and I set up some targets in the orchard (woe to my fruit trees!) and practiced shooting a bit. It had been a while since I had handled a gun, but everything my grandpa said come flooding back when I picked up a shotgun. And I think I impressed Jeff. Just a little bit. You know, for a girl ;)

We used a cracked rainbarrel at the back of the yard for a 'human-mass-sized' target and practiced from about 15 yards, the approximate length from one end of the house to the other. We used an M-14, a .45 and a shotgun (.410?) and once the Mister got past the fact that I shoot left-handed, things went swimmingly. The high point of the evening was when Jeff popped his head up and yelled "Did you just hit my Mountain Dew bottle????????" Yes. Yes I did.

I ended the evening feeling quite confident in my abilities. I'm not going to win an Annie Oakley sharp-shooting accuracy test anytime soon, but if someone breaks in and the Mister isn't around, I'm confident that I can protect my kids AND ruin the intruder's day.

Ladies, I know this is a topic we don't like to discuss, but give it some thought. Preparedness isn't just about stockpiling beans and toilet paper, you know. It's also about being in charge of your own personal safety and that of your family as well. We can't expect the Sheriff or local police squad to come charging to the rescue if we detect an intruder.

There is no cavalry.

Police departments are reactive.

And that puts the burden on us to be proactive.

If you never learned to shoot, learn. If you haven't practiced, practice! Now is the time to take responsibility for your home and children and utilize the right that our forefathers died protecting!

9 comments:

Scott said...

Outstanding.

chinasyndrome said...

Andrea,hit the Dew bottle Ha you go girl.Hey darlin you folks be careful,it's not like the old days.Bad people are everywhere.I hope you never have to defend yourself but I'm glad you can.Being aware of your surroundings is probably your best defense.

China
III

Chief Instructor said...

Well done. I taught two firearms classes yesterday, and every student was a woman! I've never had that happen before, but I think it's just great. Everyone of them had a story like yours where either the bad guys were getting too close for comfort, or they had actually had an intruder (one lady was 6 months pregnant when her break-in occured).

Ya gotta take care of business sometimes when the cavalry is too far away...

1st1shot said...

Andrea,

You do have your CHL and carry everday, all day, right? If not, I stongly urge you to do so. A gun on your person beats one in a drawer anyday. These people are out on the street also, not just robbing houses. If you happen to bump into them while out and about, you need to be prepared.

Seth

Andrea said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. This is a whole new arena for me, so I appreciate the kind words. When I was growing up, guns were for shooting injured animals, rabid racoons or dinner :) that sort of thing, so just adjusting to the mindset that I may need one to defend my children was a huge leap.

No Seth, I don't have a CHL although the subject has come up very recently and I'm strongly considering it. The Mister carries everyday, all the time (except church, I think) but up til recently it wouldn't have been practical for me to do so.

Joe said...

I love it! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

If you want some really good marksmanship instruction check out RWVA.ORG and attend an AppleSeed shoot near you......or do like i did and travel a couple hours to a serious of shoots. CHECK IT OUT.

GrammaGoats said...

i think i just left that appleseed comment anonymous. I don't have an account but i DO have a name. They call me GrammaGoats.

Andrea said...

Hi Gramma Goats!

Thanks for leaving the comment. I've heard about an Appleseed shoot somewhere fairly closeby. I'll look into it and see what they have to offer!