Sunday, July 11, 2010

Watcha Canning?

It's that time of the year again here at the Run: canning season!

While there are days I dread canning, I love-love-love to see the empty pantry shelves filling up with beautiful jars of homegrown fruits and veggies. Our garden is really beginning to produce after the rain we had a few days ago, so it's time to get started with the food preservation. This week, we're canning green beans, bread and butter pickles from homegrown cukes and applesauce (with the Lodi apples I bartered for.)

Next week, it looks like we'll have more cukes for bread and butter pickles plus blackberries for jam and frozen for cobblers.

What are you putting up for winter?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put up 20 pints of beets and looks to be about 15 more in the next couple of days. This has been the worst year for beans for us. Started with heirlooms and they are barely holding on so planted a bed of non heirlooms. Same thing. They all look like they are dying, despite watering them. Don't know if it's the heat or too much water a month or so ago from all the rains. Do you have a good bread and butter pickle recipe your willing to share. Have some sweet ones from last year we did not use, so looking for another decent, non complicated recipe.

Andrea said...

Do you have a Ball Blue Book? I use the recipe page 29, I think.

Leslie said...

so far i have put up 6 pints of blackberry jam, 6 pints of peach jam, 6 pints of strawberry jalapeno spread, 22 pints of apple butter, 10 quarts of new potatoes, and 10 quarts of suash and a ton of squash and corn in the freezer, oh yeah and 6 pints of pizza sauce. I have put up more this year than I have ever done in the past and i'm planning on a lot more to come. I'm not turning any fresh produce away. Thanks for the inspiration I love seeing what everyone is doing.

Pete Smith said...

we have not canned this year, yet! We hope to get to it soon.

Unknown said...

Ollaliberry jam! I'm picking these berries at my friend's farm, so I brought home a flat. Hope to do a few jars this week.

I planted 14 roma tomatoes so I hope to have plenty to make into crushed tomatoes and put up. I go through a lot in the winter since we make lots of soups.