I told you 2 weeks ago that we were back to life as usual, but life, it seems, had other plans. It always happens that way. Didn't John Lennon say something to the effect that life is what happens when you're busy making other plans? Yeah. It's just like that.
At the last minute, First Christian decided to open VBS classes to 4-year-olds in addition to the older children, so both kids ended up attending Sonquest last week and, omigosh, they had such a blast! It was a rain-forest themed study of the parables that Jesus taught that concluded Friday night with a sing-along and ice cream. The amazing thing is the offering that the kids made over the course of the week: $3, 320! They raised enough money to buy 20 desks for a Lifeline school that was destroyed during the Haiti earthquake...plus enough to ship nearly 3 tons of food! How awesome is that?
In addition to VBS, we're in the process of refinancing the house, so last week was a flurry of paperwork, appraisals and other bank-y stuff. What blew my mind is how much things have changed since we bought the house 6 years ago. Banking reform, indeed. We're set to close in about 2 weeks and the savings, even with the closing costs, is substantial.
We're still enjoying the fruits of our labor, although it's beginning to taper off a bit. Blueberries, black raspberries, yellow raspberries, strawberries, serviceberries. Oh my! The red raspberries and the blackberries are *just* beginning to ripen, so we should have a ripe patch of yumminess in another week or two. I canned some strawberry jam and blueberries in syrup over the weekend as well as vacuum-packing some whole strawberries with my Foodsaver. Someone please tell me how I managed to live 35 years without a Foodsaver!
There's not much on the agenda for this week. Laundry. Weeding the garden. The high point will be the Richie Bros. auction on Wednesday. Isaac is the mascot at the local auction site, so we'll be there with our RB hats on, watching the big equipment. And I'm sure we'll test drive a couple of crane too because you just never know when we might decide to buy a crane, you know? Gotta love little boys and big equipment! In addition to the auction, the Bookmobile will be in the village on Tuesday and I'm sure we'll hit that up as well. For a micro-sized village, there sure is a lot to do this time of the year.
2 comments:
Hey there... just thought I'd stop by and say hello. Seems like life has been busy for everyone this summer. I can hardly get to my computer to check emails, much less write a blog post! This morning I finally found a quiet moment to catch up on some blog reading. It was fun hearing about what's been going on in your neck of the woods! Keep us posted on the homeschool decision when the time comes!
Blessings,
Amy
We've probably got a month or so before the blackberries are ripened in sufficient quantities out on the Sacramento delta levee system. I "only" foraged 6 pounds of them last year, but we'll be doing much more this summer.
Post a Comment