Monday, March 8, 2010

Springtime and the Livin' Is Sneezy

I can tell when spring is getting close. Actually, my nose can tell and right now it's saying that spring is nigh. I developed seasonal allergies when I was a little girl, around 4 or 5 years old and while they're not terrible and life-altering allergies, it's definitely not pleasant to go around sneezing my head off during the months of March and April, followed by September and October. I don't know WHAT I'm allergic to, but it definitely follows a set pattern each year. I've taken medicine for it, and while it works, I normally end up woozy and disconnected, making the side effects worse than the allergies themselves.

There is a point to this post, so just hold on.

When I was pregnant with Miss Mara in the fall of '05, I had the worst cravings! Spinach, green apples and cat-head biscuits with honey. (Thankfully, not at the same time.) But what I noticed immediately as I scarfed down biscuits with honey on a daily basis was that my seasonal allergies disappeared. I'd *heard* that honey was helpful for allergies, but up til that pregnancy, I'd never tried it because just the thought of honey would turn my stomach. Upon doing some reading and talking to my obstetrician, I learned that many circles believe honey is good for what ails you. The thought is that eating a bit of local, raw honey each day builds up an immunity to the seasonal allergens, the same as having allergy shots. It works for some folks, but not for others, the same as any treatment but the bonus is that honey (even good, local honey) is cheaper than a trip to the doctor, more inexpensive than a trip to the pharmacy, has fewer side effects and, let's face it, tastes really really good. (Yes, I love honey now!)

So if you're like me and are beginning to feel those tell-tale tickles in the nose and throat, get thee to an apiary. You want honey produced as close to home as possible. Walmart honey won't cut it unless you're allergic to pollen native to China. You also want honey that is minimally processed-raw is best obviously. And don't give it to infants for Heaven's sake! Just use 1-2 teaspoons of honey a day; on toast or biscuits, in your cup of morning tea or straight up. Within 2-4 weeks time, you should begin to see improvements in your sneezin'!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may try this on my younger son, as he has allergy induced asthma. Less pharma, the better!

Andrea said...

Do try it and let me know if it works! It was extremely effective for me. Make sure it's local honey! The honey we use comes from a hive across the road, so it doesn't get any more local than that.

kathy said...

Hey Andrea-I just planted the tomato seeds!!! They have such great names. I recognize a few of them but some are totally new to me. After I got mine in their pots, I brought the rest to Heather. If there are any left, I am going to give them to another neighbor who has a fabulous garden. Your thoughtfullness will be eaten all over town. Thank You.

Andrea said...

OMG Kathy. That almost made me cry LOL. I'm so glad you enjoy your seeds. Saving and sharing seeds has become a real hobby for me...and further connects me to the land and my friends!

The Jaracz Family said...

Cool! Thanks for the tomato seeds, I just planted them yesterday!!! I'm giving the rest back to Kathy. I would thank you with a jar of honey, but it's all gone. I'll have to remember you when our crop comes in this fall. No help with your pollen allergies, but just a sweet thing from one friend to another! Thanks again!

Andrea said...

mmmmmmm! I'm looking forward to it! Glad you enjoyed the seeds!

Jan said...

Our neighbor has beehives and I will be seeing him tonight about some honey. Most of his bees are in our yard everyday. My little girl has allergic asthma. She is on 5 meds daily. Not sure if she would eat honey but I think its worth a shot.

Andrea said...

She may not *eat* honey, but I'm sure you're clever enough to put it in foods undetected. And who doesn't love peanut butter and honey sandwiches?

I don't know anything about allergic asthma but treating it with honey is worth a chance, right?

Jan said...

Andrea , allergic asthma is simply her allergys get to her so bad that she has an attack.