Monday, March 29, 2010

Product Review: Hometown Seeds Sampler Pack

In recent history, there have only been 2 Christmas gifts that have made me cry. One was a mother's ring from my husband. The other one: a box of hundreds of seeds from a dear, dear friend. I love seeds! All kinds of seeds! I normally stick with one or two seed companies to ensure that I receive quality seeds...what good is cheap shipping or low prices if your seeds don't germinate? This year, however, I branched out and tried seeds from Hometown Seed out of Utah and have had wonderful experiences with this company.

First of all, I was thrilled with the quick shipping. They must have dropped the order in the mail as soon as they received the email because the sampler pack arrived in just a couple of days. 2 or 3 if I recall correctly. I get so anxious waiting for seed orders to arrive, so the quick delivery really appealed to the GenX-Immediate Gratification gene!

Second, the seeds were sealed in plastic packages instead of the paper envelopes that most companies use. You may be asking why that is a good thing? Paper envelopes allow moisture in, and even draw moisture which dramatically lowers shelf life and seed germination rates. If you're looking for seeds to add to your long-term storage, you NEED sealed plastic packages!

Third, I'm thrilled with the high germination rate. There's nothing more heartbreaking than tenderly planting your beloved seeds, watching, waiting and NOTHING grows. I'm particularly happy with the tomato germination rates. The yellow pear tomato seeds have rates of over 95%, likewise the other varieties.

Overall, my experience with Hometown Seeds has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to family and friends. I'll be sure to do a follow-up post this summer once the plants are in the ground and producing. Click on the hyperlink above or the banner at the right to browse their wonderful selection. And make sure you check out the Survival Seeds!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have not tried Hometown Seeds. Will have to try them next year. Hope all is well and congrats again on your baptism.

Andrea said...

Thanks Shelly! Hugs!

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear these seeds are doing so well. I have some Hometown seeds in my freezer, but I left them sealed because they are truly my back up / emergency seeds.

Chief Instructor said...

I'm trying to build my seed stores by swapping with friends. It's good to know of a reputable commercial source if my seed swapping leaves some gaps.

My last purchase of "survival seeds" (from another source) has been only marginally successful.