It's fun to see what everyone else is doing, but I think I'm going to change the terms just a little bit. Become a little more organized. Gasp. I know. Me, organized. There are so many aspects to being prepared; it's not just about storing food, although for me that's of huge importance. So let's shake things up a bit and work on a few key areas: food storage (naturally), growing your own, harvesting and preserving, learning a new skill, doing something the old fashioned way.
Store Something: This week we added canned meat, beans, rice and a few condiments to the food stores. I also picked up extra seeds to store in the freezer for next year.
Grow Something: The tomatoes and peppers are 2 or 3 inches tall now, and the lettuce beds are freshly planted.
Harvest Something: Not yet!
Learn Something: I've been working on knitting each night and slowly, oh so slowly it's beginning to resemble the pictures in the book! Also, we learned this week that a package of tobacco thrown into a chicken coop is a fairly natural mite/bug deterrent. And don't worry, it doesn't hurt the chickens!
Practice Something Useful: Mara and I sewed a few dresses for summer. Just a few simple lightweight dresses that I won't mind getting stained or torn. And believe it or not, I wouldn't be ashamed for her to wear these in public. They actually look...nice!
Do Something the Old Fashioned Way: Bread and pretzel baking! Soft pretzels are time consuming, but fairly easy and sooooo delicious! We're also enjoying weather that's warm enough to hang out laundry on the line. Love that!
Have Fun: After mulching the flowerbeds yesterday, the kids and I spent the day knocking around the yard, playing softball and thoroughly enjoyed our St. Paddy's Day Feast! Miss Mara gorged herself on corned beef, polishing off more than 3 servings.
So that's my revised challenge for the week. I'd love to hear what other folks are doing to prepare themselves for the worst (or the best!)
Best wishes from the Run,
Andie
5 comments:
Bri got a strawberry off her plant. She was very excited!!
My lettuce is going crazy. I bet I have some really in two weeks.
I made myself a civil war period dress once. I haven't made anything since. I am thinking of making my daughter a summer dress. I would sew it by hand.
There is NOTHING as sweet as that first ripe strawberry! Good for Bri!!!
Today I,
Store Something: I bagged 20lbs each of rice, black beans, red beans,+ bagged some salt, sugar, and quick oats.
Sold Something old: I will use the money to buy more preps.
And I did some thin nice today for my wife today.
Store something - flour, sugar, and pickling spices have been restored for summer use.
Grow something - lettuce, onions, peas, cabbage, and kale are in the ground
Harvest something - finished harvesting the carrot bed, they are big and yummy
Learn something - saving water with HE washer
Practice something - the art of growing plants from seeds
Do something the old fashioned way - redoing our home with recycled materials we have on hand rather then buying new
have fun - played kick ball with the kids while the weather was beautiful yesterday!
New here - I like this idea!
Store Something - tomorrow we are making up a large batch of waffles for the freezer. These are so nice to have on hand for quick breakfasts, snacks, or even to use as a sandwich.
Grow Something - the cabbage, lettuce and spinach are all growing well. We plan to plant peas tomorrow.
Learn Something - my daughter and I are also learning to knit. We took a free class at the library but have not done much with what we learned. We'll have to get on that!
Practice Something Useful: I made a tunic a few days ago and liked it ... I need to alter it a bit. My daughter and I are working on our new dresses tomorrow.
Do Something The Old Fashioned Way: I was in charge of the bread for fellowship supper two days ago. I made 4 loaves of 100% whole wheat and 4 of Irish potato bread. YUM. Next on my list is soft pretzels.
Have Fun: Today we visited someone in a nursing home - she is unable to move or talk :( we sang several songs for her and plan to go back weekly, Lord willing. I guess this would be called humbling more than fun. We take so many things for granted.
I plan to check out your blog as time permits. Have a wonderful evening!
In Christ,
Joanne in MO
Post a Comment