Thursday, February 18, 2010

Preparedness Challenge- Week 1

It's rare to find good news in the newspaper or online, but lately the news has gone from bad to worse. I'm sure you've read about the jobs lost, the foreclosures, the weather emergencies on the East Coast. You've probably read about the rising number of homeless families and families living on food stamps. Increasingly, the stories are of terrorism, both at home and abroad. Lots of scary stuff out there in that big old world, and for the most part, there's not a thing we can do about it.

For the most part.

There's nothing we can do about weather, jobs or terrorism, but as a friend of mine would say, we can lessen the negative impact. Repeat those words: lessen the negative impact. We can't change who or what will impact our lives, but we can change how it will affect us. And therein lies the challenge. I'm challenging you to prepare for the negative to lessen it's impact on your everyday life. So how do you do that? It's so easy.

You need water to survive. Do you have water? Do you have a way of filtering water? There are so many options out there. Many of them are beautiful and expensive, many of them are effective, but homemade ugly. It doesn't matter which way you go, as long as it works.

You need food to survive. Do you have food? Do you have enough to sustain you during an emergency? Do you have a way of preparing food if the power is out? Again, so many options to consider. The LDS advocate a year's worth of food in your storage, and I believe the same thing.

You need shelter to survive. Is your home secure and functional? Do you have a backup plan for bugging out if you need to refugee? Do you know your neighbors? Do you trust them?

You need heat to survive. Do you have a working furnace? What's your backup plan for a grid-down situation? Are there enough blankets in the closet? Do you have extra fuel for your stove?

You need air to survive. Do you have a CO2 detector? Are your windows screened? Have you considered respiration masks to contend with pandemics?

You need light to survive...or at least be comfortable. Have you worked out a plan for lighting your home when the power is down? Is there enough oil for your lamps and batteries for your flashlights? Have you tried a hand-cranked lantern?

Yes, there's a lot to consider regarding preparedness and everyone is going to have a different approach, but that's what makes it wonderful. And as long as it gets done, it doesn't matter how you approach it. So here's the deal. Let's get prepared by spurring each other on. Each week, let's dish on what we've done during the previous week to ready ourselves for the worst. Leave comments and let us know what you did and how you did it. Your comments may encourage someone else, or remind someone of something they've forgotten. Survival is a community effort, be it a real community or a virtual one and it's up to you to get involved.

I'll start by saying that this week, I purged my basement making it a more livable space. I gathered up extra blankets and pillows and put them in a convenient spot. I organized some of my dried goods to create a little extra storage space. I mailed a few seeds to friends who I know will appreciate good tomatoes. Mara and I practiced sprouting seeds, baking and making yogurt.

So that's what I did.

What did you do this week?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

The basement purging and organizing thing must be in the air. The hubby and I worked on that Monday. Unfortunately, it looks like we need more food for our storage. Ordered from EE some soft and hard wheat and that bread stuff you mentioned, to try that recipe. We also kept some barely used bunk bed mattresses the girls had just in case. Still working on BOL, but hoping were out far enough to stay put.

Andrea said...

Shelly,
BOL? Bug Out----what's the L?

Do you have an Aldi's in your area? That's how we started our food storage and we still go there for basics like beans, rice, sugar, evaporated milk, etc. We eat from our storage daily, so it's an ongoing process getting it stocked up.

Anonymous said...

Bug out location. Yes we do Aldi's. Not very often, though. I go there to stock up vegies, canned beans, ravioli etc. We really do not eat ravioli here, although we like it, just trying to cut back on the processed food. I know we're breaking the rule of store what you eat, but I feel comforted knowing we have some easy meals just in case.

We do have plenty of food, it's just when it all gets organized, it starts to not look like much. We started putting things in buckets like chocolate chips, jello's etc. That's why our shelves look bare. Thanks for being helpful and for all the resources you passed on.

Chief Instructor said...

Excellent advice! Prepare for the negative impact that could happen to your life. It helps keep you focused, instead of trying to prep for a million different distinct emergencies.

Andrea said...

CI-
You know who I learned that from, right???????

The Jaracz Family said...

This week I'm on a mission to purge junk! Early spring cleaning bug, I guess.

I have to admit that I have less food stored than I thought. I mean, that it will last a lot shorter than I thought. A year's worth of food is A LOT OF FOOD! I'm sure you know this, but it takes a while to realize.

Thanks for the reminder!

Andrea said...

Heather, a year's worth food IS a lot of food, but with some determination and organization, you can realize the goal pretty quickly. I use the food storage calculator on Emergency Essentials to keep track of what I have. It was a pleasant surprise to find out that I had a good deal more than I thought!

kathy said...

Spring must really be in the air. I am in the ourging mode as well and my poor back feels it. But my fabric is organized as are all of my sewing supplies. I even got my DH to paint the library and finishe the bookshelves. I splurged on a new carpet and hung some pictures. The room looks great and now it's on to my bedroom. The news has been awful of late. I am prepping as always but also spending a lot of time with friends and family. I have three kids living far away and my wish is to get them all back on this side of the country. One daughter is moving from Florida to PA on Friday. That's only a 6 hour trip home. Another is moving back here to Barefoot Farm in December and the other is moving to Boston from Texas in the spring.

Chief Instructor said...

[blush]

Anonymous said...

Around the "J" compound we're doing the same - inventorying our food supplies, realizing we need more space, even starting to store it under the beds now. Cleaning out the junk and hand me out equipment - so now we're downsizing to just the two of us with stashing spare gear at a couple BOL.

IMHO, Everyone should have at least three BOL even if you plan to shelter in place during a TSHTF - whether it's a friends place in the country, a means of temporary shelter at a state park/campground or even routes to motel/hotels off the beaten path.

Don't forget Honeyville for your grains and such - can even get their 10% off deals every now and then that beat most prices anywhere else.

"J"

Yart said...

Every week I try to do a little more. Over the next couple of weeks I will be working on getting my bedroom and kitchen reorganized. I have been going through all of the blankets to see what needs to be replaced and what can be donated to the animal shelter. Plus, building more shelves to hide food on in the basement. Lots of work but well worth it in the long run!