I've been under quite a bit of pressure lately. Increasingly, the topic of getting a dog keeps coming up in conversation. And surprisingly, the majority of the pressure isn't coming from Jeff, but Mara. That little turkey has an answer for everything when it comes to getting a dog. I told her that dogs take a lot of time and someone has to feed them. She volunteered. I told her that dogs poop in the yard and someone has to clean it up. She volunteered Daddy. Daddy likes cleaning up poop, she says. An answer for everything.
We've tossed around the idea of getting a dog for a couple years, never seriously though. We've looked at dogs, petted dogs, admired them from afar, but have never given them a serious thought beyond that. And I'm happy with that, but it would seem that others in my family don't feel the same. I've been told that I'm doing a disservice to my children by denying them the joy of owning a pet...I say you agree to come over and clean up the yard twice a week and I'll rethink my position. But I'll need that agreement in writing, please.
I think the 2 largest areas of conflict would be 1) the breed and 2) where said dog would live. Jeff loves Great Danes and makes it a point to show me the Great Dane rescues in the area. Some rescues even have Labra-Danes, like our old dog Boone. I love working dogs, hounds specifically. Fox hounds, Irish wolfhounds, Scottish deerhounds. I like Akbash too, particularly a sweet one named Patty. But admiring and committing to ownership are 2 entirely separate matters. Our worst conflict would be the inside dog vs. outside dog issue. I've swept enough dog hair out of couches and carpets to last a lifetime and have no intention of doing that ever again. The only way I'd agree to a dog at this juncture would be if it were an outdoor dog. Flame me for saying it, but I won't have a dog in the house. I'd be agreeable to keeping it in the garage during the worst weather, but the house is for humans and for the most part, dogs are not people.
A large part of my resistance comes from the fact that I've spent the majority of the past 6 years tied down in one sense or another. Between 2 pregnancies and 2 children in 17 months, nursing, diapering, potty training, etc, I've been pretty much tied to the home. Don't take that as a slight, but there's not a lot of freedom when you have one child permanently attached to the breast and a second learning to potty-train and dropping trough every 7 minutes. And while I loved the early years I spent with my children, I feel like I'm finally able to breathe again. I can step out of the house for a few minutes without someone crying to nurse. The potty-training is done. The terrible 2's and 3's are done. I can enjoy being me again, and now you propose that I be tied down again with a puppy and all the joys that come along with it; piddles in the floor, chewed up shoes, puppy-dog breath, obedience training, dug up flowerbeds, expensive trips to the vet that aren't covered by Aetna. It's like all the most difficult parts of parenthood rolled up into one smelly, little yappy bundle. Except this time, it's not tax-deductible.
So far, I'm not persuaded.
15 comments:
I can feel your pain, but I love my dog and every little thing I have to do for him I get paid back 1000% with his love. We just had three trips to the vet with a total bill of $550.00. I'm cool with it and he is back to his old self. We have had him for 6 1/2 years and in that time he has ran off people outside our house ten times and more than half of them were when I was at work and my wife was alone. I think he earns his keep. If you want to skip the puppy years then adopt a two or three year old dog. I know it will add joy and trouble to your life, but I still think the joy always is bigger than the trouble. Just my two cents. Pete
I know. I'm in the same boat. But the difference is our current dog is so WONDERFUL and trained (thanks to ME who did all the work). She lays right where I tell her - well, she inches over just a bit, but I allow that. Anyway, she is 9 years old and getting arthritis in her joints (Golden Retriever). After much hounding (get that pun!) from the kids and spouse, I'm coming around to the idea of an addition - but I pick the dog, cause I know who will end up training it. A Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm hoping a younger dog will keep our Belle going strong for a few more years.
I should mention the dog was originally purchased for wild animal control. She would die trying to protect one of my girls. And there is plenty around here that's wild. When they were really young and small, I wouldn't let them out without the dog. (Actually, I still encourage them to take her with them.)
My wife has a saying that you will probably relate to. She says she doesnt want anything else that eats or poops.
Right there with you. I am so waiting for the cats to kick off so I have no more cat box scooping, cat vomit laundry/carpet cleaning, or FUR. Everywhere. Always.
At least Danes have the advantage of being LARGE dogs who tend to live the shorter lifespans as compared to small dogs, so if you do wind up getting one, you'll be "tied down" for a shorter amount of time than if you got a smaller breed. A rescue that's a few years old cuts that down even further, but there are then probable behavioral/training issues that are easier to avoid when training a puppy.
Since when are the animals you've already got not giving your kids the joys and benefits of owning a "pet"?
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Pete, you're probably right. We loved Boone better than anything and he was such a great guard dog. It nearly killed us all when we had to put him down.
Amy, the subject of wild animals has come up in conversation too LOL. A hunter took a 100 pound female coyote out of the woods 1/4 mile behind our house. That's a scary-sized animal! I love Mountain Dogs too!
Daddy, your wife and I are on the same wave length. Great minds, yes?
Hi Stacy, great to hear from you! We have talked about getting a slightly older animal from a rescue to bypass the chewing, piddling and other puppy joys. But part of me is really nervous about having a dog around the kids...
The debate goes on....
Ain't nothin' that don't have a few negatives to throw into the mix. But the one time a dog saves a kid or you or your husband will make all the differnce in the world. Babies get sick and poop their pants and all the minor aches and pains. A dog will do the same damn thing. If you go for a dog, get a good watch dog.
Michael
I'm sure you're right, Michael. If/when we get a dog, it's not going to be some needy, yappy little dog that pees itself whenever it gets scared. It's going to be a working dog and it's going to earn it's keep. Like I said, the main issue is where it will spend the majority of its time. I'd be okay with an outside dog (sheltered inside during extreme weather, of course), but I don't think that Jeff would agree to it.
Wow Andrea, seems like a regular conversation around here. I am giving in to a dog though, knowing who will be doing all the work. Ours will be an indoor dog. (I cannot believe I'm saying that. lol) We thought Rottweiler, but upon research, they are too unpredictable, so when I finally give the big O.K. we will be getting a Doberman. In light of the economy, crime, etc... they will guard the property, are loyal, and even though they sound and look vicious, upon research, they are not apt to attack, unless a family or territory is in danger, can sense danger from a mile away, and are not on the list for vicious dogs. A dog will be beneficial to your family if it is a part of the family. I feel you though, not looking forward to this, but my gut says it's time.
My in-laws had a dog named Zeb, who if I remember correctly was a German Rott-Doberman mix. Of course I may not be remembering correctly. He WAS a good dog. A big baby, but a good dog!
My husband has 3 weeks off during July this year, so if we do get a dog, that would be the perfect time to do it. He can be tied down and clean up the piddles LOL.
Here's my .02: Think very carefully before getting a dog. I've heard all the same things "denying the kids a pet" and all. But you give your kids plenty to keep them happy and have responsibilities.
We got a puppy when we moved in here 2 years ago. He was the most well behaved dog, but just another element of chaos was too much for me. He moved in with my father-in-law when Florian was born. FIL lost his dog of the same breed a few years back, and missed him dearly, so it all worked out for the best. He may move back in when the time is right, who knows.
My biggest "Pet Peeve" was letting him out all the time in winter. We're trying to keep the heat in and here I am holding the door open while trying to get him back in the house!!!
In the end, it will be fun, just do it if and when *you're* ready!
Heather, I'm in no hurry to get a dog LOL. My thinking is that I just got everyone potty trained and sleeping through the night...why start that stuff all over again???
Andrea, take your time in getting a dog. Although I said on my blog that having a dog is a part of being prepared, it is a big responsibility and you should take your time choosing a dog if you do decide to get one. Please know that you are not doing a disservice to your children if you don't get a dog. I never had a dog when I was a kid and I'm glad I didn't because it is work taking care of my dog, especially an Akita. I just got my first dog 3 years ago and I now realize why my parents never got a dog. But its still been worth it. He's been loyal and I know that he will protect my property and my wife.
Hi Dave! Thanks for dropping by. I'm in no hurry to get a dog, trust me. This has been an ongoing conversation at our house for the past 6 months, and I don't see it changing in the near future. Anytime I feel like I'm weakening, I imagine a dog digging up the blueberry bushes and rhubarb that I've been babying for 3 years. That generally hardens my heart again LOL.
Andrea, you know the story of our dogs. It will be a year in June since we had to find them a new home, and I have to say that I have my days that I miss them, but those days are not often. I am glad that we don't have the 2 extra mouths to feed or to take care of to clean up pee off the carpet, etc.
I definitely want another dog in the future, but not for a LONG time. We said that we would revisit the idea of a dog once Colt gets to be 6 yrs old, and then maybe get them a dog for Christmas. But I already told Robbie that he/she is going to obedience training, and that is it. I think the money will be worth it. And potty training....ugh. scares me to PT Clay much less a dog. LOL!
My inlaw's 9 yr old poodle died last year sometime, and 2 weeks later, they had a new poodle. They can't live without a dog. Period.
Hi Linda! I'm the same way. I miss our old dog Boone, but I don't miss the landmines in the backyard and his incessant need to mark everything. If there is ever another dog, it will be a female and she'll definitely go to training of some sort.
Post a Comment