Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love My Work

It's been a great couple of days! We had our feast yesterday and it went over smashingly. It's funny how changing a word, going from a supper to a feast, changed the energy in the house. The kids were so excited. Isaac set the table, just like he learned on Special Agent Oso LOL. Mara insisted on wearing a fancy dinner dress. And they made sure that Dad knew they helped make the pumpkin pie! We may just make this a tradition in our house. We'll call it the Mid-Winter Feast and have it every year on President's Day. It seems like a great way to break up the doldrums between Christmas and Easter.

We've been so productive in the last few days. Of course with the weather what it is, there's not much else to do. Mara and I made a fresh batch of yogurt and started some mung beans to sprouting. Baked fresh bread and boiled eggs to pickle for the boys. I've also been writing down recipes into the receipt book that I plan on passing to the kids one day.

Did you know that I keep a receipt book? Not THIS kind of receipt book, but THIS kind. I try to write in it regularly, but sometimes will go months without an entry. I've recorded favorite dishes, recipes, holiday traditions, tips, hints. Just some of the things we do and use on a regular basis that I don't want to forget. One day when the children are grown up, I'll pass it on and let them fight over it. When you consider how much communication has changed in the past 20 years, it's hard to imagine what things will be like when the kids are adults. Hopefully, this book will serve not only as a recipe book, but also a history book and owner's manual to keeping a home, garden and livestock.

Well, I hear some stirring in the living room. Isaac is up and he'll be tickled to hear that school is canceled. Again. We're looking at make-up days this year as we've used up all the calamity days available and there's more snow coming this weekend. Thank God there's only one more month til Spring.

Think warm thoughts and send them my way, won't you?

3 comments:

Pete Smith said...

Sounds like it went well and was a lot of fun. Family makes me so happy and having fun time family is great. The time we spend with our family is what makes me keep going with my preps. I want to have a life with my family even after a collapse.

Unknown said...

The climate is so backwards this year. I probably shouldn't tell you that it's sunny and 64 degrees here on the mountain today - and it's FEBRUARY! Normally, this is our coldest month. Problem is, all the apple and cherry trees will start to bloom, then we'll get a cold snap (usually accompanied by high wind) and we'll loose the blossoms. Then there will be no apples or cherries this year. Guess I better wait and see. It hasn't happened yet. Maybe we'll sneak by.

Anonymous said...

I hope spring actually arrives. There's little indication of it around here in the Smoky Mountains at the moment.