I love the roasted red bell peppers that you find at the grocery store in the pickle aisle. You know the ones, 5$ a jar, for a half-pint jar! I love them on sandwiches, burgers, salads, soups, pasta, but who can afford that addiction?
Today I finally found a recipe for roasted red peppers that doesn't require a marinade! Yes! And blessedly enough, I found red bell peppers at a local farm store at (drum roll, please) 3 for $1!!! When you consider that our local grocery sells red bells for $1.19 EACH during the height of the season, you can see why I'm so excited! So I spent the day today roasting peppers, peeling peppers, chopping peppers and finally canning peppers. And Lordy, do they smell good! For less than $6, I've taken care of my fix for the year!
So how do you do it? First you clean your peppers, rub them with oil and broil them until the skin is charred and blistered. Throw them in a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap to steam them; then when they're cool, peel the skin off. Chop them up, pop them in jars and season with a bit of salt, vinegar and olive oil. Add enough boiling water to cover the peppers, cap them, then pressure can for 35 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. Done. And so much more affordable than grocery stores!
4 comments:
Sounds so good!!!! And it doesn't sound like it took too long.
Perfect! I did pickled peppers, but have been looking for a roasted pepper canning recipe that didn't need a marinade. This sounds delicious, and easy too. Another to add to this weekend's plan.
So easy! To each 1/2 pint, I added 1.5 t of vinegar, scant 1/4t. of salt, 1/2T of olive oil then I topped them off with boiling water.
I love roasted red peppers. I don't have any this year. I hope I get a score like yours.
Post a Comment