I met my dear friend Wendy nearly 2 years ago just by chance. Wendy posted an ad on Craigslist that read "Help Me Feed My Family"...in an endeavour to find local, humanely raised meat and eggs. I answered her ad and we began corresponding via email, and over the past 2 years, we've became dear friends. Having children smaller than mine (including baby Adam, 3 weeks old) Wendy has her own take on the Homestead Challenge. And I love it.
Plant Something: New ideas and knowledge into the mind of 2 year old Noah; love and security in Adam.
Harvest Something: Tomatoes by the handfuls, if only I could pick them with my mind from the window using my super mommy powers. In the meantime, I'll harvest laughter and a few tears.
Preserve Something: My sanity, by escaping the mommy doldrums with a quick look at my email and (your) blog. Also a nice hot, albeit short, shower all by myself when Josh is home and I don't have to worry about Noah sprinkling my makeup all over the bathroom floor. But normally, Adam wakes up famished before I'm through rinsing the suds from my hair.
Eat The Food: The only one enjoying the food around here is Adam! Everyone else around here is wondering if he will ever get done eating so I can cook for the rest of them.
Reduce Waste: No bottles means I don't have to use and toss those plastic bottle liners. With Noah, I used thousands of those little plastic liners!
Reuse/Reclaim/Repurpose: I have only used 2 diaper wipe boxes since Noah was born. I just refill them with wipes refills.
Have Fun: Fun stories with Noah. The other night I put him to bed and laid down with him for a while till he fell asleep. Lately he (Noah) will ask me with his sweetest voice if I would like him (Noah) to hold me (Wendy mommy) and then he'll wrap his arms around me tightly. After a few minutes, I thought he was finally settling down and he says to me quietly "Do you want to drink my bottle?"
2 comments:
Aww, sweet. Tell her I said hello and Adam is a great name, but I'm biased of course!
What a lovely post. And all the best kind of planting, as I see it. :-)
Post a Comment