Friday, June 19, 2009

Receipt Book

I started a receipt book for my children recently....not a receipt book that you'd use in business, keeping track of income and expenditures; but more like this: a lovingly written account of how we live our lives everyday. It's something I've considered doing for quite a while, but only truly began recently.

Why a receipt book? There's so much information being lost daily as we lose our older generations. I only wish I knew how to do half of what my grandma knew, and half of what my mom knows...I'd account myself a wicked-intelligent woman! My grandparents raised and slaughtered livestock, washed clothes on a washboard, cooked from scratch, preserved their fruits and veggies. My mom makes the most amazing biscuits ever, has an incredible knack for keeping her house spotless at all times and can crochet pretty much anything. I can do very little of those things, and probably will never learn how. As time passes, we lose more and more of that knowledge. Sure, we're computer savvy and we have easy lives through modern technology and industry, but we've lost a great deal of valuable information simply because we've worked hard to take the easy route through life. For all my computer savvies, I have no idea how my grandpa made that sweet chocolate 'gravy' that he'd serve with warm biscuits and a glass of cold milk for breakfast.

My intention with this receipt book is to have a written account of all the important things in our lives; favorite recipes, songs, traditions, games, outings; something tangible to hand down to my children so they'll remember how they lived and where they came from. So far it's very short, just a few entries, but I have faith that this is something I can keep at, and something I'll enjoy.

One entry is a recipe for Isaac's all-time favorite side dish; Fried Corn. That baby could eat fried corn til he turned into an ear of corn himself. It's a super simple dish, but here's a tip to ensure success: when you cut the kernels off the cob, make sure you cut through the center of the kernels. When you cut them open, the 'milk' is full of starch that will thicken the dish.

Isaac's Favorite Fried Corn

1T butter or oil
5-6 ears of sweet corn, cut off the cob
1t. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup milk, more or less

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, then add the corn kernels. Using the back of a spoon, scrape the corn cobs over the skillet to release the 'milk', (this will be your thickener). Mix into the buttery mixture and cook over medium heat til the corn turns slightly translucent. Season the corn with sugar, salt and pepper to taste, then slowly add the 1/4 cup, more or less, of milk and stir well. Allow to simmer til the sauce begins to thicken, usually 5-6 minutes. Serve very hot!

4 comments:

The Jaracz Family said...

What a great idea! The recipe sounds yummy, too.

kathy harrison said...

Is this what some people called parched corn? I have a recipe that sounds similar but used reconstituted dried corn. I love the idea of a book. I sometimes think all of us bloggers could get together and self publish our blog entries for a year. What a gift to the world that would be. Homegrown food and wisdom. I would but it.

Andrea said...

I'm not sure if folks call it parched corn or not...it's more like creamed corn, but not like the nasty stuff you buy at the grocery. It's just cooked in a delicious sauce.

Unknown said...

I love your receipt book idea! I have been thinking of starting another blog that is private so I could just journal my stories about my girls, but I think I'll try your idea, too.