Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pickled Eggs!


Since we've began gardening extensively and have tried our hand at livestock, I've noticed we're loath to waste anything. Anything at all. When you've spent your time/money/energy in a project, the end result is a precious commodity. I suppose that's how frugality and homesteading come together...it's one thing to grow fruit, it's another thing altogether to get as much use as possible out of the fruit. AND to see that nothing goes to waste.




Like fresh eggs. We like our hens and we like their eggs. But it's difficult to eat 5 eggs a day. Everyday. So to combat waste I've began pickling eggs once every couple of weeks to use up the extra and save them for leaner times. So far, the Frizzle eggs are perfect for pickling. They cook quickly and are exactly one bite each. And so far, there's been no need to get into canning them...they last just long enough in the fridge that none go to waste. But before we go into winter, I'm anticipating canning pickled eggs so that they'll be shelf stable and ready for winter snacking.




Some folks aren't big on pickled eggs; I'm one of those folks in fact, but the rest of my family love them with crackers and cheese. To each his own right? But it will be comforting to have a quick, easy source of protein at hand and ready to be eaten at a moment's notice. I figure the worst case scenario is that they aren't eaten and they end up on my Aunt Teri's shelf of weird and ugly canned stuff. (Merry Christmas, Teri!) Either way, they're not wasted.

4 comments:

Meg said...

PS....just want to make sure, do you know about storing eggs up to 6 months using waterglass? This might also be a way to help ensure you have eggs during those leaner winter months....here's a link, if you need more info:

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Food/storing_eggs.html

Meg said...

I have something for you....for a laugh go to:

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

My issues with this blog are the lady's tendency to make her food ENTIRELY too complicated....yo, food doesn't have to have a dozen ingredients to be delicious! Also, she calls it "poor girl eats well" but it really is more like "family of 4 or 6 eats exotically on a semi budget" My well-meaning mother sent me the link...::sigh:: I can out "poor girl eats well" that lady any day!! And I think my meals are just as nourishing *and* more likely to fill you up and keep you full like a meal is supposed to...

kathy said...

Do you have any idea the eggs will hold uncanned? I vaguely remember eating pickled eggs that were pretty well aged when I was a kid. But we considered pickled pig's feet a treat too. I love pickled anything but eggs and beets are my favorite.

kathy said...

How cute is Florian? I can't wait until they get home. I am actually old enough to be Heather's mother and I am looking forward to spoiling her a bit. We have a big pool and deck and a great swing set/climbing structure. I am dreaming of hot, sunny days with the kid whooping it up in the pool and the moms sipping iced tea on the deck. I have a couple of teeanage daughters to help play lifegaurds so I won't feel overwhelmed by the responsibility of so many in the water.