Thursday, May 28, 2009

In The Gardens


Things are really starting to come to life here at the Run. Fruit trees and vines are full of blooms, peas are getting fat on the vines and our tomato plants are turning green and lush. And finally, after a short dry spell, we're in the midst of about 4 days of much needed rain. After tomorrow, our garden should be thriving and our rain barrels full to the brim!




Next week, Jeff has a week off (shutdown in lieu of layoffs) and we'll be hard at work removing spring crops and planting summer crops. On our list of plants to get into the ground, cauliflower, carrots, more tomatoes and peppers, eggplants and still more herbs. We'll also be sowing a small patch of 'greasy' beans on a homemade trellis(...pictures to follow next week). Can't wait for those! But for now, check out the beautiful pics of our springtime garden.





Bunches of baby grapes that will be summer juice and winter jam.



Rhubarb, beginning to ripen and a gift of chives in the background. (Thanks Monkey Ron!)



Last years' gift of strawberry starts are blooming and full of baby berries.



Blueberries, getting fat and juicy....just waiting for them to turn blue.



A Russian 'Big Roma' tomato plant is starting to put out new growth...should be perfect for salsa this summer!



Amish sugar snap peas...you can't see them because we ate them last night for dinner : )



Bunches of broccoli just beginning to form down inside the leaves of the plant.

A raised bed, full to the brim with lettuces...reds, greens, lollos and romaines.

This is absolutely my favorite time of the year! Spring brings the immediate gratification crops (radishes, lettuce, spinach) and the anticipation of summer crops that we wait all year for...fresh eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, beans and corn. While I can't wait for those first tastes of summer vegetables, I'm trying to savor the fresh lettuces, light rain and cool temperatures of spring. They'll be a fond memory when I'm up to my nose in tomatoes and canning in August's 100 degree heat.

Posts will probably be sparse for the next 2 weeks. The annual National Road Yard Sale is this weekend and we're planning on loading up the kids, hitching up the trailer and hitting Route 40, trying to find some good deals. Plus a fishing derby on Saturday that Jeff is itching to take Isaac to. Next week is going to be full of small projects, working in the garden and trying to catch a matinee of 'Up' with the kids. Who knows, maybe a trip to the Columbus Zoo too. So til then, take care and best wishes.

2 comments:

Linda said...

The broccoli looks just like my in-law's does right now. They have tomato plants, broccoli, cantaloupe, watermelon, jalepenos, and green and white onions. I think that is it, but not sure. Your garden looks great this year!

Meg said...

Looks awesome!! ::waves "hi" to the Russian Big Roma::....I knew that guy when he was just a little seed. ;)

And, yes, I know I still owe you some Black Cherry seeds for next year...I have a STACK of things I need to mail out, but not driving makes it a bit difficult to run errands which don't fall into the category of "super essential", like picking up heart meds or something. I will let you know when I mail them out...hopefully sometime soon!