I have, what would appear to be, an over-abundance of radishes. Red ones, purple ones and soon, white ones too. And you can only eat sooo many radishes right? I ran across this recipe and, if I can accomplish the other chores on my list, I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. Sounds like it should be a lovely sweet/hot relish, maybe for topping burgers? Who knows. But at least there won't be a thousand radishes go to waste, right?
Radish Relish
3 cups stemmed radishes
2 large ribs celery
1 large red onion
2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbls mustard seed
2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup vinegar
2 tbls prepared horseradish
Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chop them finely. Mix with remaining ingredients and allow to stand three hours. Bring to a boil in a large pan and cook ten minutes. Pour into hot jars, leaving half-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 1/2 pints and pints in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
*RADISH RELISH UPDATE*
Okay, the relish is done and it is surprisingly good! I made a couple minor changes to the recipes, basically substitutions for what I didn't have on hand, but all in all, not a bad recipe! The next time I make it, I will make one major change though; 3 cups of radishes isn't nearly enough bulk for the relish. Mine came out quite thin and I drained it before I canned it, so next time I'll probably double the amount of radishes, or supplement with another root veggie like carrots or something. But generally speaking, a great way to use up all those radishes!
3 comments:
Looks like a good recipe. If you have a cool place, you should be able to store them, right? Last year I had the same problem, my family really doesn't like them and I couldn't get a neighbor to take a one! Sadly, I didn't plant any this year. My dream one day is to make a cold cellar in the basement and store all kinds of stuff.
This looks yummy, but I wanted to say that a Harvest Party for reaching 600 pounds is AWESOME!!! :-)
My goal this year is 50 pounds, but I'm just starting. Maybe I'll have a 50 pound party, squee!
I think 600 lbs is a feasible goal...there's going to be about 75 tomato plants, so that's only 9 pounds of fruit per plant, right??? I planted cukes and melons Sunday, so that should pad our totals too, right???
Post a Comment