Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Hate To Brag.....

but I'm becoming a real wiz with leftovers. Yeah, I know, it may not be something everyone is proud of, but whenever I can keep from throwing good food in the trash, well, that's a triumph in my world. My best 2 examples this week....

1) leftover corn on the cob+leftover bacon+leftover mashed potatoes= Corn Chowder!

2)leftover bacon+leftover pork chop+leftover veggies= Pork Fried Rice!

And believe it or not, these dishes seem to have a richer, deeper flavor having used the leftovers than using fresh. Maybe because they are reheated, the flavors are more intense??? Whatever the reason, they taste great and I've been able to cut waaaay back on waste. Which means less of Jeff's money is going down the disposal. He, at least, should be happy about it!

4 comments:

kitsapFG said...

Good work Andrea! My mom used to always do a sunday soup that she started mid morning using the bits and pieces of leftovers and some veggies from the garden - it was the "lunch" on Sunday and was always different and always yummy!

The Jaracz Family said...

That's awesome, but you did mean compost and not trash, right? (wink)

Andrea said...

We compost most of our kitchen scraps...but you don't throw porkchops on the compost pile, right??? We have enough problems with the wildlife around here...don't need to invite them to a pork dinner LOL.

The Jaracz Family said...

No, I don't compost any meat. The dog takes care of that part!