Yet another movie reference for you to ponder. Signs is one of my all-time favorite movies, because I'm a believer in signs. I think that when you're walking the path that God intended, He leaves markers for you, to show you that you're going the direction He intended. Like in the movie Signs...the little girl with the water glasses, the uncle with the all-time strike-out record, the little boy with the asthma...it all happened for a particular reason. Nothing is coincidence.
Once in a while I start to feel sorry for myself and I wonder if this is *really* the life for me. Sometimes I think it would be sooo much easier to just become a yuppy, buy-buy-buy, spend-spend-spend, waste money on expense labels and pointless toys. Enroll my kids in anything and everything possible so I could go back to work and make more money to buy-buy-buy, spend-spend-spend. And without missing a beat, that's when the signs start to show up...signs indicating that my life's work is one of motherhood and to be a steward of the earth. Jeff said I just sort of fell into this life, got in on the ground floor of something taking off, but I think it's more than that. I think God wants me to homestead.
Whenever I start to have a pity-party, someone will call from a major network or a magazine for an interview...something related to my homesteading activities. Either food preservation, gardening techniques, natural beauty, cooking from scratch, etc.
Sometimes, something will just drop into my lap. Yesterday, I picked up a cookbook at a yard sale, and lo and behold, it flipped open to an entire section on food storage for emergencies.
Often-times, I make a new connection...someone walking the same path as me, maybe just a little farther down the road, or maybe just a bit behind. God provides me with new companions to pick me up when I stumble on my way.
On the outside looking-in, it may seem like nothing. Just coincidences. A book, an interview, a stranger. But from the inside, it seems like little messages telling me "Don't give up, keep on walking!" So, I'm going to take these signs and use them like breadcrumbs in the road, as indicators of the direction I'm meant to travel in life. After all, there's no such thing as coincidences, right? Just signs.
2 comments:
It does seem like one is called to living a simpler life - or not. I am glad that you get well timed "signs" to keep you encouraged. I can't say that I have experienced the same thing, but I know when I waver in commitment I just remember how much pleasure the actual time spent outdoors or or the fun of working with my daughter at my side to preserve the summer bounty - then I abandon any tempting change of course.
Work, work, work, spend, spend, spend...nah! Getting the whole kitchen dirty making bread with a 2 and 4 year old, priceless!
Post a Comment