Monday, April 27, 2009

The Things We've Handed Down

This morning, whilst in the garden, tilling and planting, I had 2 people on my mind...Isaac and Bernie Madoff. I know. Weird combination. It's usually Isaac and George Clooney...(and before you say anything, Jeff is completely aware of my obsession.) But on this particular morning, as I watched Isaac carefully planting his corn seeds, I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking and learning. I explained to him the seeds should be "this far apart", using his hand as a template. He'd bend down, use his hand with outstretched fingers as a guide and gently plant the corn seeds. Right now, he's learning to feed himself, his children and hopefully his children's children. The knowledge he's gaining right now will hopefully be handed down like an heirloom...something cherished passed from generation to generation. Lovingly appreciated with fond memories attached.

So where does Bernie Madoff come into the picture? While watching Isaac and pondering our current fiscal state of emergency, I had to wonder what those responsible for it where taught. Was Little Bernie ever lead into a garden and taught to sow seed? Did his daddy show him how to plant onion sets, pointy side up, so they grow tall and green? Did his mommy say "Okay Little Bernie, you eat those oats all gone so that you can grow up big and strong"? Did she tell him to go to school and listen to everything his teacher said? Did she teach him to treat smaller children kindly, to not waste food, to tell the truth? Or was his home one of raw, selfish ambition? Was he taught to get in there, claw his way to the top and not take "NO" for an answer? Was he hugged, nurtured, supported? Somewhere something went very wrong, to say the least.

In my mind's eye, I can see Isaac being involved in either agriculture or construction. And either one would make me proud. I don't care if he grows up to be a lawyer, a doctor, a politician. In fact, I'd be more proud of him if he didn't. But no matter what happens, I hope he remembers the lessons we've taught him in his 4 short years. That being nice is important. That big kids should help kids that are smaller. That you should always hold hands when you go out into the world. And that nothing tastes better on a hot August night than sweet corn and a freshly sliced tomato, gently planted and tenderly nurtured by little hands. These are the legacies and heirlooms that are most important to me. Now the question is, what are you handing down to your children?

4 comments:

Wendy said...

*sniff, sniff*, maybe it's just my hormones, but this one really moved me. I was wondering yesterday what, if anything, these kids are being taught about kindeness, or helpfulness these days. While at the zoo yesterday, Noah was trying to play on the play ground and just got mowed down. He may have had a better chance being thrown in with the gators. Those kids were mean, rude and just pushed the little guy over. Not little kids, kids old enough to know better. It Made me question myself and what I've tried to teach him. Do I teach him to be nice so he can get run over in this world or make him just as mean so he can climb to the top of the slide with the rest of 'em.

Andrea said...

Wendy, I keep telling myself, no matter what, that goodness, helpfulness and kindness will pay for itself eventually. There's always going to be big, mean, stupid, bumbling idiots out there, out to make a buck at the expense of everyone else. And those people most likely started out as the mean kids on the playground. And while I'd hate to see my kids being pushed around, I'd prefer it to my kids being the mean kids doing the pushing. I don't think I have to worry about either of them being pushovers...they're both assertive in their own ways... but I'm not going to raise loud-mouth heathens with no home-training. I think it's all about balance.

Jan said...

I Love this topic. I for one believe in my heart that we are teaching more to our kids in nature then they could ever get in school. My kids are way above grade level, they are doing their grade level work plus work that is one grade above. They get straight A's. They have great teachers but the one thing I hear over and over again is "These kids are great and learn fast. We are tring our hardest to keep them interested and not bored" I really believe them growing up in nature and helping me in the garden helps them learn more beyond thier years. Yes there is alot they don't know. But they are curtious to others, healthy and always have smiles on thier faces. I believe being out in dirt with a bit of imagination will help us all learn.

Lee said...

WEll, now girls. Not to worry. Coming from the experience I can tell you that my children were reared in the same fashion you are discussing. Both of them have been out of school for a number of years and they are good citizens, parents, friends,spouses and neighbors. They had their difficulties in childhood but without them where would they be? We have to let our kids experience even the rough side of life, to some degree, to be prepared for becoming an adult and grow strong. You don't let them get hurt but practice some patience to see how they handle the difficulty. There are many ways of teaching them to stand up to the bigger, older, tougher guys. The one I chose to teach was to know who you are and what is important. The split second it takes to strike back or the moment it takes to know better and feel for those who do not. It's a tough lesson and even more difficult to put into practice especially for kids. It makes them more mature than their age in decision making but stronger in spirit and self reliance. In the same note my children surrounded themselves with friends who cared deeply and held the same beliefs.
There will be times you will need to step up and protect your little ones; use that experience to teach them and comfort them. They will grow strong and resilent and most of all loving and know they can take care of themselves when you are no longer around.