You know, you go to your pediatrician once a year for a well check, they put your kid on the scale, measure his height and Whammo! He's obese. There's so much they don't take into account, like muscle mass, frame and actual body fat levels. Yes, Isaac is a big kid. He's a big, strappin', muscle bound boy. He's been that way since day one. When you pick him up, there's no flab. He's solid weight. He has a tiny little baby belly, thick legs and arms, and great big feet; just like his daddy. He eats well, he runs ALL the time and if you ask him how much he weighs, he'll answer "a ton". Do *I* consider him obese? Nope.
It aggravates me because if you call Isaac and *all* the other stout little kids out there obese, it very much distorts the statistics in favor of American kids being lazy, sloppy and fat. Yes, there are some obese children out there, with poor eating habits, who don't exercise... but to label all 'stout' children obese because the black and white growth charts say so, that's just wrong. Shall I put Isaac on a diet and take away his apples, raw carrots and pasta? Cuz that's what he lives on at this moment in time!!!
Oh, and just in case you're wondering what my "obese preschooler" looks like...here you go.
4 comments:
They both look like healthy kids!! I never have paid much attention to what "they" say. I told myself years ago not to worry untill they are older. Like 13!!
I trust my own eyes and judgement - those two children look quite happy and healthy to me!
Yeah, your judgement is right, those two look nice and NORMAL to me. Besides, I think it is better at Isaac's age to be a few pounds heavier rather than a few pounds lighter than what's considered "normal". When you're a skinny kid it's harder to stay healthy, fight off bugs, etc., than when you are robustly healthy like your little man.
Besides...mainstream media is full of a lot of crud. I routinely discard the vast majority of what I read from them, as it's often pure drivel.
Your kids are so cute! Cute and healthy and smiling. We have to resist every attemp to put us (and our children) in little boxes. My oldest son was always aterrible student. He was tested and retested and remediated for years-barely graduated from high school and refused to go to college. He now owms his own company and is well on his way-at age 33- to his first million. He just never fit in any of the boxes his school tried to design for him.
Post a Comment