Friday, April 10, 2009

Have A Pity Party, Why Dontcha

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/first-ladys-organic-garden-concerns-chemical-companies-2009-04-09.html

Why don't you just have a pity party, MACA. And I particularly resent the following statement:

“We live in a very different world than that of our grandparents. Americans are juggling jobs with the needs of children and aging parents,” the letter states. “The time needed to tend a garden is not there for the majority of our citizens, certainly not a garden of sufficient productivity to supply much of a family’s year-round food needs.”

First, to suggest that we're any busier now than in generations past is a slap in the face to all our hardworking ancestors. If we're strapped for time, it's because we're watching TV and playing on the computer. Second, done correctly, a garden need not take up all our precious spare time. It's called mulch, compost, drip irrigation. Look into it. Third, to assume that we're incapable of producing "much of a family's year-round food needs" is just a show of ignorance on your part. It sounds like the truth is finally getting out and someone is sitting in the corner eating worms.

3 comments:

KitsapFG said...

Amen. The commitment of time to something productive as opposed to passive entertainment is a choice. I choose it with great enthusiasm and do my best to encourage others to do likewise.

Anonymous said...

Well said! I am a crazy-busy professional in a high-stress, long hour lifestyle (often 12+ hrs a day) and I *love* my garden. I cherish the time I make for it and the bounty I get from it (and my local farmers). In fact, *because* I am so busy, making time to garden is that much more important for my mental well being. I can't provide all my own food, but I know others who show it is certainly possible, even with a demanding career, family, etc. That piece of the article just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Andrea said...

The fact I'm *here* indicates my mom juggled kids and a job. And we always had a garden.

My grandparents juggled jobs, 3 kids and an aging/sickly father (inlaw).

My great grandpa was a union organizer with 8 kids, and still had a garden. And probably a still on the side too ; )

We're only busier because we're willing to work hard to avoid hard work. My bargain with Jeff....he keeps the roof over our heads, I keep us well-fed. And so far, it's working.