Thursday, March 26, 2009

On a Personal Note:

It's sort of crazy here at Chicky-Bit Run. Momma is detoxing. Not the green jello -fasting detox, but the "get me off this crazy drug" variety. I've been quitting Effexor for about a month and had I known it's one of the *worst* drugs on the market for withdrawal symptoms, I'd never started it to begin with. And when I say the *worst*, I mean it. Here's a list of the more common symptoms and lucky me, I have 98% of them.

"agitation, anorexia, anxiety, confusion, coordination impaired, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, dysphoric mood, fasciculation, fatigue, headaches, hypomania, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, nightmares, sensory disturbances (including shock-like electrical sensations), somnolence, sweating, tremor, vertigo, and vomiting"

The shock-like sensations, that's a fun one, friends.

What really stinks about the whole situation is that it would appear that I was misdiagnosed; it would *appear* that the problem wasn't depression, but an uncommon symptom of hypothyroidism. Yep. You read that right. Emotional volatility and upset is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Go figure.

So why am I telling you all of this? If you're taking this crazy drug, you should consider talking to your doctor about the repercussions. They tell you a few of the minor symptoms you may experience when you begin your prescription; weight gain, fatigue, etc. What they don't tell you is that many doctors consider this a lifetime medication simply because the withdrawals are so horrendous. From now on, hot tea and Pamprin are going to be my drugs of choice.

No comments: