Monday, March 23, 2009

Chicken With Brandy Sauce

Nope, this isn't a recipe. This is about accidentally getting your chickens drunk on hard sauce. Last night, while the oven was still hot from dinner, I whipped up a quick bread pudding with some leftover crusty rolls. It's such a quick and easy dessert. Just eggs, sugar, milk and crumbled bread. But the flavor comes from the hard sauce; sugar, butter, milk and Brandy. Yum-o! We ate what we wanted last night and then I inadvertently left it on the counter overnight.

This afternoon, I scraped together all the lunch leavings; lettuce leaves, leftover noodles, etc. and without thinking, threw the rest of the bread pudding into the scraps and fed it to the chickens. They ate it, fast. I'm not sure how to tell if, indeed, your chicken is drunk. There's no belching, staggering or excessive sleepiness. I guess I won't know til one of them wakes up with a hangover or falls off the roost.

Now the real question is, what are those eggs gonna taste like???

3 comments:

Meg said...

Oooh, recipe for brandy sauce? Please?? Nicole is looking to replace the "bread pudding with whiskey sauce" dessert at her work with a new bread pudding with a different sauce as the whiskey sauce is actually difficult to do correctly. She'd been pondering a brandy sauce for a bit, and when she heard about yours she asked me to ask you for the recipe (if you're happy with how yours comes out) so she can start playing around with it...

Andrea said...

I don't really have a 'recipe'...she'll understand!

Basically I just melt about 3tablespoons of butter and add a tablespoon or two of cream. Then start alternating powdered sugar (a cup at a time) and brandy (by the tablespoon) til you get the right consistency, flavor and toxicity LOL. I like mine stout, but other folks not so much.

Meg said...

Awesome, thank you!! And Arbor Brewing Company thanks you as well! Nicole will get started with experimenting with this to see if it'll make the May menu. ;)