It's been a long long time since I've done a No Poo Challenge update...I was reminded by a dear friend of mine who is interested, but reserved at the idea of using no shampoo. It's been nearly 6 months since I've used shampoo and I am happier than ever with my hair. It DID take some adjusting, some getting used to, but I absolutely love it.
I'm sticking with the baking soda/apple cider vinegar approach to hair care. Once a week, I do a deep conditioner to undo the damage of well water, blow drying and highlighting, but other than that, I'm done with products. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have noticed that there's a LOT of new growth coming in...I mean a LOT. I've got crazy, newborn baby hair going on my crown and part. Could it be the result of not using shampoo? I don't know, but thicker hair is always a good thing.
Something else I've noticed is that since I've given up shampoo and conditioner, I'm hyper-aware of the strong scents that most beauty products contain. You don't really notice how strongly scented those products are until you give them up cold turkey. Then it's like 'Blech! What is that STINK???' You may be wondering what hair washed with baking soda and rinsed with apple cider vinegar smells like...clean. It just smells clean. Slightly apple-y, but not like vinegar. It's just a pleasant fresh odor...much better than the chemical 'fresh' scents.
So if you haven't tried it, give it a chance. What have you got to lose? Let me rephrase that...think of what you can save! A box of 75 cent baking soda will last for two months or better. And apple cider vinegar isn't much more expensive. How much did you pay for that last bottle of shampoo?
Next up in my natural beauty experiments will be natural deep hair conditioners using ingredients right from the kitchen. Bananas, yogurt, oil....don't know if it's good for the hair, but it ought to taste okay ; ) I'll start the experiments soon and do an update to let you know what works for your hair and what would make a better fruit salad.
Best wishes.
No comments:
Post a Comment