The reason I say mad scientist is that my laundry room has turned into a frightening combination of laboratory and greenhouse. With a little vegetarian buffet thrown in. My 6 foot table is absolutely full of seed starting bins, newspaper cups, grow lights, pans, buckets of soil, spray bottles. There are tin chafing dishes from a recent party. Gladware baking pans missing lids. Christmas tins. Anything that will hold soil, water or a combination of the two are being employed in my endeavour to start seeds.
Yes, I started them a touch early. This is my first season of all-out, no holds barred seed starting and I anticipated trouble. Germination issues, especially. I counted on doing at least 2 rounds of planting because what were the chances that what I sowed would grow? Well, apparently I have just the right combination of heat, light, soil, and water because as of today, all but 4 yellow tomato seeds have come up. As a result, there are, oh, about 7000 basil seeds popping up LOL. That may be a BIT of an exaggeration, but not much. Apparently, the rule of thumb that I was following--- 'plant twice what you need'--- doesn't necessarily apply.
So my greenhouse lab isn't necessarily a beautiful one...it's dusty, messy with dirty clothes and storage, but by giminy, it can grow some seeds. Unfortunately, my camera is a little under the weather this week, so I don't have any beautiful pics to show you, maybe next week, but here's a drawing, now use your imagination.

2 comments:
I take it there will be lots of pesto this year? Lots and lots of pesto? Pesto freezes nicely! Is it something that is pressure cannable? (Ha, I said "cannibal!" OK, I'm weird today...) Basil undercrops nicely amongst/between tomatoes, from my experience, so I'd say go ahead and plant 'em all out with the tomatoes (as many as you can squeeze in)! Doesn't cost any extra land and does seem to help keep bad bugs away (I used basil, occasional marigolds and borage and pretty much no bug problems!)
Howdy fellow labbie! My Italian basil seedlings went crazy, too.
Post a Comment