Monday, January 19, 2009

Hail to the Chief, Baby


For the first time ever, I'm truly excited to see the inauguration tomorrow. It will be a fight at my house for sure...the inauguration takes place at the same time as Tom and Jerry on the Cartoon Network! But history must prevail!
I have so much hope going into this new presidency; I hear words from Obama that I haven't heard in the past 2 terms. Words like faith, patience, sacrifice and persistence. (No wait, Bush used those terms, but always in connection with the death of our troops. Sorry, my bad.) It's comforting and reassuring to have a young family in the office again, someone in touch with reality and what the average American is experiencing. And by average, I mean someone who wasn't born into or married into fortunes. Someone with young children, a mortgage, who worked their way through college and whose sole aspiration in life isn't the almighty dollar.
I hear a lot of rhetoric about Obama; that he's too young, that he supports abortion, that he's idealistic and naive. I don't believe any of it. I see a young man that has hope for America; who believes in the right to choose your own path and live with the consequences of that choice. I see a person who will judge and be judged by the content of one's character, not the color of your skin, the cut of your suit or the size of your wallet. I see a President that will not waiver in his convictions to do what is right and necessary for America. That is the man I voted for. Not a black. Not a Democrat. A man for the people. And I'm excited for him to take office tomorrow.
I'll be watching history, will you?

3 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I'll be watching as usual, but I'm not necessarily excited. It's the day to day events that I'll be paying closer attention to. I've been closely watching the cabinet appointments and I'm deeply dissappointed by many of them. I was hoping for change in many areas, but it appears it's politics as usual, especially in the area of the Department of Agriculture.

I'm still optimistic, but I'm not as hopeful as I was 2 months ago.

Andrea said...

I agree entirely with your Dept. of Agriculture opinion, but at this point, hope is all I have. I remember at the last election, I actually cried. Not because I was a sore loser, but because I was afraid. I had a brand new baby boy and I was really, seriously frightened for him. Of course it could have simply been hormones too LOL.

Chiot's Run said...

You also have to remember that about 50% of Americans are feeling the exact same way this election, they are also fearful for the future of their children, and many of the probably wept when Obama won just as you did when Bush won. I know people that feel the same exact dispair you felt 8 years ago now.

I find it interesting that for the last 8 years, his supporters have been so disrespectful and not willing to work together for the common good, but now that their man is in they're crying for us all to work together. It's easy to cry "work together" when you're on the winning side and not having to concede. These are the some of the very things that are dividing our country and causing problems.

It seems like everyone fights their party lines and not for the important things like; respect, honesty, character, truth, responsibility, hard work, making the hard choice. When will we stop disrespecting others that don't hold the same opinions as we do?

He said it best this morning on his blog:
http://apaetoday.blogspot.com/2009/01/hope-and-change.html