Due to a cramp in our weekly budget, we decided last week to keep our money in savings and forgo our weekly trip to the grocery. Instead, we picked up milk and butter and lived off our food stores. I thought it would be a good trial run, an experiment to see if we could really live off of what we've preserved and/or stockpiled over the last 6 months.
The outcome? It was a wonderful week! The only thing we've ran out of is milk, which we expected, and our diet has been incredible! We had a great variety of meals, used up all of our leftovers and really stretched our budget by using a lot of rice, beans and grains. In fact, we had several meals where Jeff ate til I thought he would burst, the kids as well. Most memorable meals were chicken and corn chowder with fresh poppy seed muffins, and a roast with baked potatoes. We even had a fresh apple pie for dessert. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
Our budget is back to normal this week, so tonight I'll be taking a stock up trip to Aldi's and picking up the rest of our groceries at Kroger. I think I'd like to take this challenge again, though, because it made me think outside the box in terms of our meals. And that's always a good thing.
1 comment:
Yay, that's awesome!!
Post a Comment